Best inexpensive wireless mixer

Jeff Kenney

Freshman
Mar 4, 2013
Opinion on what the best simple small mixer with wireless capabilities is

for dj stuff - a mic or two.. simple compressor for mics.. simple eq.. nothing fancy.

Wireless tablet / ipad control is a huge need

doesn't have to be a lot of channels - 4 is enough but obv something that small probably doesn't exist.

preamps, quality, reliability most important

Re: Best inexpensive wireless mixer

Opinion on what the best simple small mixer with wireless capabilities is

for dj stuff - a mic or two.. simple compressor for mics.. simple eq.. nothing fancy.

Wireless tablet / ipad control is a huge need

doesn't have to be a lot of channels - 4 is enough but obv something that small probably doesn't exist.

preamps, quality, reliability most important

The mackie DL mixers look like the best thing going for what you describe. They are small, cheap, flexible, and don't require a dedicated computer host. For my money, I'd go ahead and spring for the 16 channel version though. It's just a little bit more money but it's the difference between having a mixer that WILL support a small band plus Emcee and BG music duties, or not.

BTW, I think you should not even consider the preamp quality in a mixer of this size. They will all do a fine job of amplifying mic signals. The client would not be able to tell the difference between this Mackie pre and any mega-buck studio pre out there.

Pre Amp quality is probably the single most important thing. These are not corporate shows but more like track act type dj shows. I was wondering if there is anything more pro level.. we used to use the heck out of the rack mount midas XL42.

The mackie DL mixers look like the best thing going for what you describe. They are small, cheap, flexible, and don't require a dedicated computer host. For my money, I'd go ahead and spring for the 16 channel version though. It's just a little bit more money but it's the difference between having a mixer that WILL support a small band plus Emcee and BG music duties, or not.

BTW, I think you should not even consider the preamp quality in a mixer of this size. They will all do a fine job of amplifying mic signals. The client would not be able to tell the difference between this Mackie pre and any mega-buck studio pre out there.

For that situation I'd be very tempted to wait and see the X32 Rack when it's available. If you don't need a dedicated surface and plan on running all from an iPad/tablet, it looks like a great option. Plus you have 16 pre's onboard plus 8 XLR out and 6 line in/out's. For MAP of $1499, it will probably be available for around $1200 I'm ASSuming. That's alot of capability for a $1200 unit.

Behringer: DIGITAL RACK MIXER X32 RACK

EDIT: And as for your quote of "preamps, quality, reliability most important," please don't jump on me for offering up a Behringer solution. I've had my troubles with some of their products as has everyone that has done this type of work, but from the consensus, the X32 is really separating itself from former assumption of the company's reputation.

As a X32 user destined to get an X32Rack as soon as it becomes available, I still have to suggest at this time to have a look at the Allen&Heath IDR mixracks if you want something today or in the immediate future. MixRacks

Pre Amp quality is probably the single most important thing. These are not corporate shows but more like track act type dj shows. I was wondering if there is anything more pro level.. we used to use the heck out of the rack mount midas XL42.

You may have used the XL42, but did you need it? I'd wager a bet that you run the same tracks through 5 different preamps and try to tell me which is which, that you or I or anyone else couldn't do it. There's simply not that much difference in an analog device who's sole responsibility is to NOT change the sound of what's going through it.

The differences happen when these devices are overdriven or otherwise not operated correctly. Then, yes, the XL42 makes sense. But are you telling me that you are overdriving the pre to get that "midas" sound? Do your track acts know this?

Although, if you really feel the need to spend more money than you need to, I would buy a used Lake or a new Soundweb London DSP. Either of these can be wirelessly controlled and offer ins and outs and eq's and stuffs. Nobody would be able to bitch about quality of these units since they are line level controllers. No preamps involved, unless you want a pre, in which case you can use your XL42.

The Analog Input on the Soundweb London stuff can have up to 48dB of gain, and can supply phantom power to it's input pins, and easily handles a direct microphone connection.

You may have used the XL42, but did you need it? I'd wager a bet that you run the same tracks through 5 different preamps and try to tell me which is which, that you or I or anyone else couldn't do it. There's simply not that much difference in an analog device who's sole responsibility is to NOT change the sound of what's going through it.

The differences happen when these devices are overdriven or otherwise not operated correctly. Then, yes, the XL42 makes sense. But are you telling me that you are overdriving the pre to get that "midas" sound? Do your track acts know this?

The ability for the system to be as clean and reliable as possible is required no matter what the level of talent. Are you telling me that you never mixed a bad band before? If so; Does that mean that you'r going to turn your entire inventory into behringer because you obviously don't need quality for that kind of stuff?

The older dolby lakes are ideal with more inputs.... but reliability and service would start to be a concern. The LM44 is a good idea - I didn't even think of that!

Not to keep on behringer - but just because of the name and the chance that any hired in fader driver will scoff at it.

A&H stuff may be a good idea as well.. will look into those I have zero experience with them.

Thanks!

The ability for the system to be as clean and reliable as possible is required no matter what the level of talent. Are you telling me that you never mixed a bad band before? If so; Does that mean that you'r going to turn your entire inventory into behringer because you obviously don't need quality for that kind of stuff?

The older dolby lakes are ideal with more inputs.... but reliability and service would start to be a concern. The LM44 is a good idea - I didn't even think of that!

Not to keep on behringer - but just because of the name and the chance that any hired in fader driver will scoff at it.

A&H stuff may be a good idea as well.. will look into those I have zero experience with them.

Thanks!

No, actually it's quite the opposite. I have mixed some very, VERY good and well known bands on very low end gear. Neither the bands nor the audience or even myself had a problem with it because the low end gear did a fine job in the end. The thing is, it's all about the driver, not the bus.

Now I try to fulfill riders as best I can, but a few years ago I worked at a big state university where we had Mackie mixers and old as dirt Altec speakers and amps. I did a ton of big name world-music types on that gear. And a few pop stars that would come in for one reason or another. Even US presidents and other world leaders, including shows that were broadcast nationwide.

The Mackie DL is the best that is available today IMHO for your stated purpose. The Behringer Xi16 will be out sometime in the next 2 quarters and has the added benefits of storable gains and much better vocal efx as well as significantly more powerful routing options and features..... but it does have the name "Behringer" on it ;)

No, actually it's quite the opposite. I have mixed some very, VERY good and well known bands on very low end gear. Neither the bands nor the audience or even myself had a problem with it because the low end gear did a fine job in the end. The thing is, it's all about the driver, not the bus.

Now I try to fulfill riders as best I can, but a few years ago I worked at a big state university where we had Mackie mixers and old as dirt Altec speakers and amps. I did a ton of big name world-music types on that gear. And a few pop stars that would come in for one reason or another. Even US presidents and other world leaders, including shows that were broadcast nationwide.

I wouldn't exactly call altec cheap or low end. An old good speaker is still a good speaker "most of the time"

Yep. The quality of the speakers and the tracks themselves are what's really going to make the difference in sound quality. Especially when there's no real summing of multiple inputs like when you're mixing a band.

Jeff, I agree with Tim about not to getting too hung up on preamps, but whatever floats your boat. I also agree that the X32 rack looks like it'd be a great choice for what you want if you can look past the Behringer name. I'm sure you're aware of LOTS of very happy and satisfied X32 owners very content with sound quality and feature set/UI.

Yep. The quality of the speakers and the tracks themselves are what's really going to make the difference in sound quality. Especially when there's no real summing of multiple inputs like when you're mixing a band.

Jeff, I agree with Tim about not to getting too hung up on preamps, but whatever floats your boat. I also agree that the X32 rack looks like it'd be a great choice for what you want if you can look past the Behringer name. I'm sure you're aware of LOTS of very happy and satisfied X32 owners very content with sound quality and feature set/UI.

Pre-Amps are the single most important thing. Please just take my word on it. If you don't believe me go set up an A/B on a high fidelity system and then you can come back and talk to me about it. This is NOT band world.

The other night we used a soundcraft SI series console.. I think it was a Si-16 with ipad interface and that was a great sounding console for the job. In retrospect I also had a presonus that was absolutely horrible and tried the mackie as well.

I see soundcraft has some stage boxe things.. gonna take a closer look at that.

I have never, once, in my entire life been able to attribute bad sound to a preamp. Loudspeakers, bands, tracks, glue joints, A/Ds, D/As, compressors, limiters, DSPs, power, even amplifiers, sure. Never a preamp operating in its linear range.

Pre-Amps are the single most important thing. Please just take my word on it. If you don't believe me go set up an A/B on a high fidelity system and then you can come back and talk to me about it. This is NOT band world.

The other night we used a soundcraft SI series console.. I think it was a Si-16 with ipad interface and that was a great sounding console for the job. In retrospect I also had a presonus that was absolutely horrible and tried the mackie as well.

I see soundcraft has some stage boxe things.. gonna take a closer look at that.

Opinions vary... objective measurements predict very little difference between well executed modern preamp designs. Nowadays with multiple off-the-shelf chip sets available that deliver high performance, there is no excuse to sound different, unless you do so on purpose, by deviating from linear.

JR

I have never, once, in my entire life been able to attribute bad sound to a preamp. Loudspeakers, bands, tracks, glue joints, A/Ds, D/As, compressors, limiters, DSPs, power, even amplifiers, sure. Never a preamp operating in its linear range.

You've never used one of these then: Behringer: EURORACK MX1604A

O.K, maybe the problem isn't in the pre-amp, and it's somewhere else in the mixer, but that board just sounds like hell. Very noticeable difference by just swapping it with anything else.

There are differences in sounds of mixers, especially at the low end. In the digital realm, the differences are far less, but they still do exist. The ideal system would be completely transparent, but nothing actually is 100%.

O.K, maybe the problem isn't in the pre-amp, and it's somewhere else in the mixer, but that board just sounds like hell. Very noticeable difference by just swapping it with anything else.

There are differences in sounds of mixers, especially at the low end. In the digital realm, the differences are far less, but they still do exist. The ideal system would be completely transparent, but nothing actually is 100%.

The Yamaha MG series is not very good, either, but the preamps are not the likely culprit.

O.K, maybe the problem isn't in the pre-amp, and it's somewhere else in the mixer, but that board just sounds like hell.

I was specific about the preamp for exactly that reason. Also, I find that sonic differences between mixers are pretty near the bottom of the list. If that's where you're finding the greatest sonic improvement the rest of the system is likely very very good. Of course, I haven't used the Eurorack you link to above, so perhaps it is bad enough to elevate itself above the usual culprits of bad sound quality.