Beta 57a vs. Beta 58a for vocals

Re: Beta 57a vs. Beta 58a for vocals

So if it doesn't sound good to your ears but purportedly applicable and accurate data says that it should, you will go ahead and use it anyway? :?~:-?~:???:
I don't think anyone has said that, at all.

My thinking is if the data is correct and the mic doesn't sound good to your ears, there is a possible EQ issue. This is something that can be corrected. Of course, that doesn't take into consideration a specific mic not being a good choice for a specific voice.

EQ is a variable, but a semi-minor one as it can be changed down stream. Polar pattern - wash/feedback rejection, transient response, phase response, proximity effect, etc all come to mind. How many of these are accurately conveyed on a spec sheet? This is why I like good mics, rather than fighting with crappy ones when the only tool to polish it is EQ.

Re: Beta 57a vs. Beta 58a for vocals

EQ is a variable, but a semi-minor one as it can be changed down stream. Polar pattern - wash/feedback rejection, transient response, phase response, proximity effect, etc all come to mind. How many of these are accurately conveyed on a spec sheet? This is why I like good mics, rather than fighting with crappy ones when the only tool to polish it is EQ.

Well, you might be able to put a little shine on it by polishing it with a few spec sheets......

Slightly OT

I bought a SM58 replacement screen to try on one of my Beta 57a mics. At around two inches away, I don't hear any *big* difference. Maybe, it sounds (ever so slightly) smoother with the 58 screen on it. The mic is a bit louder with the Beta 57a screen, because of the shape of the screen putting you closer to the element. I honestly didn't notice *much* of a change due to the proximity effect. It sounds good either way. I would use it, either way, for vocals. The biggest plus I see to having the 58 screen on the Beta 57a is the foam windscreens will fit better. YMMV 8)~:cool:~:cool:

*my testing was not extensive.

Re: Slightly OT

Putting an SM58 screen on a Beta57A essentially gives you a Beta58A. As mentioned already in the thread, the on-axis response may be the same, but the off-axis will be different (narrower at high frequencies for the 57), which helps with the singing drummer problem.

I have a number of old Beta57s (not the A version) with 58 grills, and I don't hear a significant difference between the modified B57s and the real B58s. On the parts list, the two capsules have different numbers, but physically, they appear to be identical. I do hear a difference between the B58s and B58As however. Unfortunately, original Betas are made of unobtainium, so I've been modifying old 57s to add to my stock.

One other factor that may be worthy of noting: You may find that Beta grills cost considerably more than the SM version. It's not just the blue rubber band you're paying for, they are significantly more resistant to denting.

GTD