Beta 87a Noise

Craig Stone

Freshman
Aug 7, 2011
The mic still works, but I'm getting a hiss and a light popping sound through my Beta 87a. The popping is intermittent. The hiss is constant. I've tried different cables and different channels on my board. Any ideas?

EDIT: it's a real Beta 87a; not a counterfeit.

Re: Beta 87a Noise

If you're certain the phantom source and/or mixer is good by testing it with another known good condenser mic, it's likely the 87a has a bad preamp section. I just recently had an Audix ADX-51 with a similar issue (excessive self-noise). Sent it back to Audix for repair and they sent me a brand new mic for $65. Shure likely has a similar program for their out of warranty 87a's

Greg

Thanks. Shure does have a out of warranty service program. It's $101.00 to have the Beta 87a serviced. I just want to be sure its not something I can take care of, before I send it off.

Thanks. Shure does have a out of warranty service program. It's $101.00 to have the Beta 87a serviced. I just want to be sure its not something I can take care of, before I send it off.

It sounds like a preamp, but before you send it off make sure that the pins on the internal side of the xlr are clean and shiny. They mate with sockets from the preamp and sometimes get a bit corroded. Also check that the copper strap is making good contact with the inside of the mic body.
Might not cure your problem, but free to check it out.

Just retratct the xlr set screw and gently tug on the xlr.

before you send it off make sure that the pins on the internal side of the xlr are clean and shiny. They mate with sockets from the preamp and sometimes get a bit corroded. Also check that the copper strap is making good contact with the inside of the mic body.
I took a brass bristled utility brush to the pins on the part you spoke of, as well as the xlr pins--I didn't scrub hard and I made sure everything was clean before I reassembled the mic. I think your suggestion helped! I just ran it HOT through my mixer and listened to it through headphones with the volume full on. There was a very slight hiss, but no static or popping to be heard at all. I guess I'll wait and see if the problem pops up again, but for now it seems better. Thanks for the advice!

Is there a preferred method of cleaning these contacts?

It sounds like a preamp, but before you send it off make sure that the pins on the internal side of the xlr are clean and shiny. They mate with sockets from the preamp and sometimes get a bit corroded. Also check that the copper strap is making good contact with the inside of the mic body.
Might not cure your problem, but free to check it out.

Just retratct the xlr set screw and gently tug on the xlr.

This is the biggest issue I had with B87's. The pins shift over time and don't make a solid contact. A few turns of a screwdriver and a wire brush normally would solve this issue.

Evan

The mic still works, but I'm getting a hiss and a light popping sound through my Beta 87a. The popping is intermittent. The hiss is constant. I've tried different cables and different channels on my board. Any ideas?

EDIT: it's a real Beta 87a; not a counterfeit.
Unscrew the head and look at the wires that go to the capsule. The capsule is suspended and on the underside the wiring is connected with small pins. If the wire/pins become loose it will cause the problems you are experiencing. They usually have some white rubber like compound on them that is supposed to help keep this from happening but it sometimes comes loose anyway just reseat them and see if the problem goes away. Don’t try to unplug those pins just try to push them in gently. You may need some tweezers of hemostats to do this.

I'll get some DeOxit for the contacts and if the problem comes back I'll check the capsule wires, as well. Right now, the mic sounds great!

Thanks for all the info, guys!

My post really should have read – unscrew the metal windscreen. It’s not really the head that you are unscrewing. I am sorry if this has cased any confusion.
Unscrew the head and look at the wires that go to the capsule. The capsule is suspended and on the underside the wiring is connected with small pins. If the wire/pins become loose it will cause the problems you are experiencing. They usually have some white rubber like compound on them that is supposed to help keep this from happening but it sometimes comes loose anyway just reseat them and see if the problem goes away. Don’t try to unplug those pins just try to push them in gently. You may need some tweezers of hemostats to do this.