Blizzard Q12A RGBA LED Par

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I put my new Blizzard Q12A RGBA PAR wash up against the lights I own and am most familiar with. I’m not a lighting expert and this is the first LED par that I’ve tried, so I don’t have a lot of experience of similar fixtures, but I use incandescent lights that a lot of quasi-budget conscious users have.

I, like everyone else, want all of the advantages of LEDs – low power draw, color changing abilities and not cooking the performers. I’m hoping to avoid the pitfalls of low brightness, poor beam characteristics, poor diming, etc. The Blizzrd Q12A caught my eye because it’s an RGBA fixture with approximately 10,000 lux in an attractive format for less than $300.

Here is a picture of my test setup:
attachment.php

The competition was a 150w PAR 38, a 500w PAR 64, and a Strand 26 degree 575w leko. The Strand is roughly comparable to an ETC Source 4 with a 575w halogen bulb, at least for brightness purposes. I didn’t have a 26 degree Source 4 or I would have used that instead. The camera was set to manual exposure - all pictures except the test setup picture are the same exposure settings.

Here’s the Strand 575w against the red channel of the Blizzard. Strand is on the left, Blizzard on the right.
attachment.php

Same light with green gel against the Blizzard
attachment.php

And blue
attachment.php

The 500W PAR 64 against the Blizzard
attachment.php

The PAR 38-150
attachment.php

The best 3000K-ish white I can get out of the Blizzard (100%R, 100%G, 75%B, 100%A) – note the color blotches in the beam
attachment.php

Strand ungelled against the Blizzard all 4 channels 100%
attachment.php

Strand red against Blizzard all 4 channels 100%
attachment.php

It’s clear that the Blizzard out-classes the gelled 150W PAR38 and the gelled 500W PAR64. Depending on the particular gel, it appears the Blizzard and the gelled 575w Strand are about equal. Ungelled, the Strand is 4 times the brightness, and the white is better.

The Blizzard’s beam is very even with no hotspots for the whole field, which does appear to match the spec of ~20 degrees. With multiple channels on, the different elements of the LEDs hit the lenses slightly differently, leading to a little blotching. That may or may not be a problem depending what you’re illuminating - stage scenery won’t show it, but some architectural applications may show it a little. The amount of blotching is dependent on the relative levels of multiple channels – colors closer to just one channel have less blotching – secondary colors have more. I don’t mean to exaggerate this – it’s not a big deal most of the time.

Blue is the dominant channel of the light - it seems maybe 25% brighter than red or green. Amber is much dimmer than the other channels - probably 50% of the other channels.

Build quality seems OK, but my light has two small issues - the holes drilled in the yokes are different sizes, and the main yoke is too small to take a 3/8" bolt. It could be easily drilled out, but shouldn't have to be.

Also, the main LED plate is crooked in the light - it's at about a 5 degree angle to the front protective lens. This is a little annoying in that you can't point the light by referencing the physical front of the light. Also, one of the mounting screws for the LED plate rubs on the acrylic protective outer lens, which scratches it. I popped the top cover off to see if this was just an alignment issue or if there was shipping damage, but the standoffs that support the unit are actually responsible for the angle issue. Other than these two issues, the light seems nicely built.

Dimming is reasonably good. Some of the criticism I’ve read about other fixtures – even other Blizzard ones, is that dimming is “steppy”. This fixture does have a little stepping – it lacks the thermal inertia of a conventional filament or a capacitor or some other smoothing circuitry, but it does dim pretty smoothly from zero to full – the steps are very small.

Blizzard has told me that this fixture’s PWM frequency is 400Hz. This is clearly fast enough for visual use, but when I shot a little video, there is some flicker with a channel at less than 50%. This is worst on the blue channel, for some reason. I shot at both 60i and 30P and this behavior happens in both formats. I will say that it’s better than what I’ve seen watching YouTube videos of some other lights.

For my purposes this is the biggest issue – I don’t do any events with IMag, but there’s often a camera running somewhere, and I would like to not have to worry about this. I’m interested in the Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/slim-par-pro-rgba.html

which lists as a feature “flicker free for video”. The Chauvet fixture is a little more expensive than the blizzard and it lacks the single lens for all colors design of the Blizzard.

Attachments

• Test setup.jpg
    Test setup.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Strand 575 vs Q12A-R.jpg
    Strand 575 vs Q12A-R.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2
  • Strand 575 vs Q12A-Gr.jpg
    Strand 575 vs Q12A-Gr.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Strand 575 vs Q12A - Bl.jpg
    Strand 575 vs Q12A - Bl.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 500WP64 vs Q12A.jpg
    500WP64 vs Q12A.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P38-150 vs Q12A-R.jpg
    P38-150 vs Q12A-R.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Q12A best white.jpg
    Q12A best white.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Strand 575 vs Q12A 4-ch 100pct.jpg
    Strand 575 vs Q12A 4-ch 100pct.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Strand 575 vs Q12A 4ch 100pct.jpg
    Strand 575 vs Q12A 4ch 100pct.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Re: Blizzard Q12A RGBA LED Par

Yes - sorry - forgot to post that. I didn't pull out a gel for any other lights for this since usually Amber is combined with Red/Green for yellows/oranges, but I have one against the Strand blue.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Strand 575 vs Q12A Amber.jpg
    Strand 575 vs Q12A Amber.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1

How are the non RGB colors like yellow, orange, purple, etc?

Is the amber getting it to do a better cross section of colors?

Hi Steve. Yes - the amber helps a lot. The fixture makes a pretty nice yellow and a good orange. The amber warms up the purple too. The less powerful amber channel seems consistent with other products around, and seems to be designed as a mixing element, rather than adding much for brightness to the light. Other than the video flicker issue and a couple minor build quality things, this is a decent product with pretty good color rendering and very good brightness.

I'm still waiting on the delivery of the Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA. In the meantime, I did a frequency measurement of the Blizzard and found that it operates at 370Hz. That doesn't seem to be much difference to the 400Hz claimed by Chauvet, but yet is unquestionably inadequate for video use.

Stay tuned for my Chauvet review, assuming I ever get the one I ordered.

Thanks for these photos. I see your Chauvet has come in, will you do the same with that fixture?

Update

I sent my Blizzard Q12A to Blizzard to be exchanged due to the lens cover cracking and some surface rust on the fixture. I got the replacement fixture back yesterday. I will say that Blizzard took care of me. I got an RMA number and permission for the exchange fairly quickly, and Blizzard turned around the new fixture in the same day.

The new fixture is slightly different from the old one. They have replaced the pan head screws on the lens array with countersunk flat head screws which still scratch the lens a bit, but don't really stick up, and therefore will be much less likely to crack the lens in the future. Also, they have corrected the crooked lens array issue - the LED array is now parallel to the outer case.

I've decided this fixture is still not right for me due to the video incompatibility, but Blizzard has indeed solved a couple of the issues that my early unit had.

I'll be listing this replacement fixture in the Marketplace shortly.

Hey TJ -

What kind of suction is driving your dust collection?
I have a Clearvue CV1800 5HP cyclone. That's 6" PVC sch 35 ducting. It was a kit that was pretty easy to put together. I built a closet around it with some leftover Auralex foam that makes about a 15dB difference in noise. Now most of the noise comes from the blastgates.

Re: Update

I was contacted by someone off the forum about the "new" Q12A I received back from Blizzard as to if the beam was any different. Seems to me that the same field splotchiness occurs in the new rev. Apart from this, it's clear that Blizzard has improved my top two complaints of the original fixture - the lens array angle to the fixture, and the screws on the outer lens.