Board decision for mid-sized church

Re: Board decision for mid-sized church

I think the SL32.4.2 would be a good fit. There's a channel for each fader, great iPad app for remote mixing, a good workflow, and was specifically not asked for as well.

jiFfM.jpg

Looking at the new SoundCraft Expression line, it would definitely fit the bill for what is desired. The 32 channel console only has 30 sliders, so to get to 36 inputs, you will be working with 2 layers, but that's not too bad. No matter which sized surface you get, you can run up to 66 channels, which is pretty sweet. Having used the SI compact, I'd say it's a pretty simple board for a beginner to be trained on, and it also has some powerful features available once you get used to the board. The Expression is supposedly an upgrade from the Compact, but at a third of the price.

However, early reports are that the initial release of the software is a bit buggy, and there are times when the console just decides not to work. Not to worry though, it's not a Behringer board, so it's not a big problem.

Looking at the new SoundCraft Expression line, it would definitely fit the bill for what is desired. The 32 channel console only has 30 sliders, so to get to 36 inputs, you will be working with 2 layers, but that's not too bad. No matter which sized surface you get, you can run up to 66 channels, which is pretty sweet. Having used the SI compact, I'd say it's a pretty simple board for a beginner to be trained on, and it also has some powerful features available once you get used to the board. The Expression is supposedly an upgrade from the Compact, but at a third of the price.

However, early reports are that the initial release of the software is a bit buggy, and there are times when the console just decides not to work. Not to worry though, it's not a Behringer board, so it's not a big problem.

Imagine how well the lockups and the fact that it is "a bit buggy" would have gone over if it WERE a Behringer. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

Imagine how well the lockups and the fact that it is "a bit buggy" would have gone over if it WERE a Behringer. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

noticed that did you? yeah, i was surprised to actually see someone say it out loud. i was just amazed at the general nonchalance that was shown by everyone in the 'Soundcraft crash' thread.

I, for one, will never buy a Soundcraft desk. my reason for that is very simple. EVERY catastrophic console failure i have ever had was with a Soundcraft desk, both digital AND analog. I'm sure others have had better experiences, but i won't ever be able to use a Soundcraft desk again without EXPECTING it to fail.

Is it just me, or...

Working a mixer has more to it than just riding some faders.

I just can't understand how 'non-experienced operators' and working with 16-channels(?) or more can be used in the same sentence.

Ohh, I've just put it into a sentence...

Is it just me, or...

I just can't understand how 'non-experienced operators' and working with 16-channels(?) or more can be used in the same sentence.

I've found that what's needed is someone who can "think like an engineer", having the ability to understand the signal flow through the system and apply basic, simple trouble-shooting logic when required.

This is more critical than raising or lowering a fader or faders. A good ear matters not if you can't find which switch has been inadvertently turned off..........

Is it just me, or...

A fairly common situation for churches and schools is their wanting to have productions for which a large format mixer is required but to have limited technical resources. Unless the production requirements can be scaled back, which seems to almost never be considered a viable option, then in some cases having one person that can set everything up and a couple of operators who can push scene recall buttons and/or ride faders may be their only option. It's not ideal but it is their reality.