Booking Agents... (Kinda Rant)

Re: Booking Agents... (Kinda Rant)

Kinda of a different slant here. Most clubs book shows themselves and lower priced bands abound because the club owners are looking at dollars. At least with agents there was a screening system and most bands I see in clubs today would not be good enough for an agent to book 20 years ago. No fan of agents of the past but the current situation is not better from an audience perspective.

Re: Booking Agents... (Kinda Rant)

Kinda of a different slant here. Most clubs book shows themselves and lower priced bands abound because the club owners are looking at dollars. At least with agents there was a screening system and most bands I see in clubs today would not be good enough for an agent to book 20 years ago. No fan of agents of the past but the current situation is not better from an audience perspective.

in my area, promoters get the door, venue gets the bar. promoter might pay rent, venue has its own booking manager to coordinate a cohesive program. both handle print, radio, flyer, and online communications. while bands are welcome to skip the promoter and book their own show, an established promoters taste, crowd loyalty, etc is often a factor for venues. Said promoters are often members of bands or label collectives themselves. Handling all of the promotional strategy and management is usually not a desired or developed skill from the bands. Seems to run well enough at hte under 600 capacity level. Bigger shows are usually due to the efforts of professional companies with exclusive rights on performers and undoubtedly some venue loyalties, often for improved rental conditions.

I know a couple of the parasites mentioned, and am amazed the loyalty of the artists they string along.