Booking Classic Rock Acts in the Southeast

Jan 14, 2011
Laurel, MS
myspace.com
I know many of you guys like myself are also heavily involved in the "booking/consulting" end of local fairs, festivals, etc... I book probably 75% of my shows myself for the clients that I serve and have built up relationships with various artist agencies in Nashville. However, almost everything I'm involved in is Country and the agencies I work with have virtually no rock acts.

So the bottom line is...what are some good Classic Rock acts that I could book in Mississippi in the <$20K range? I realize that transportation is usually the single biggest cost for acts in this price range so being regional is usually helpful (nearly all country artists are conveniently 7 hours away in Nashville).

Name recognition is probably the single biggest requirement. I know Kenny Wayne Shepherd played Meridian this past April and I think he gets low 20'sK. I was thinking about some of the 80's metal bands with or without their original members such as Warrant, Skid Row, etc.... IDEAS???

Re: Booking Classic Rock Acts in the Southeast

Ah, thanks Tim. I also found these guys: Artist Representation and Management - Roster which have the bands I mentioned as a matter of fact.

We're almost a one stop shop! For several events I have booked the act, made the radio commercial for the show, made hotel/food arrangements, bought food for the bands at Wal Mart at 2am the night before, and did the sound and lights As many of you know this is especially helpful in small towns where you will often be approached by someone that says, "here is our budget, make a concert happen!"

Ah, thanks Tim. I also found these guys: Artist Representation and Management - Roster which have the bands I mentioned as a matter of fact.

We're almost a one stop shop! For several events I have booked the act, made the radio commercial for the show, made hotel/food arrangements, bought food for the bands at Wal Mart at 2am the night before, and did the sound and lights As many of you know this is especially helpful in small towns where you will often be approached by someone that says, "here is our budget, make a concert happen!"

I hope you charge extra for this service. It's worth more than what most of us will make on the audio. Seriously. These are not "throw them in for free" services. Anyone can buy a PA system, a few can set them up well; but not everyone with a checkbook can take care of booking and logistics as a matter of course. These are valuable services and that value should be reflected on your invoice as a line item, or you're making even less on sound than you would have.

Charge Extra? LOL I wish. I may have exaggerated slightly, I usually on handle the food/hotels if it is a show directly related with our radio station in which case it falls in our lap. However, since my competitor also likes to tout his ability to book acts it becomes a necessity to offer this service for basically nothing in order to secure gigs. :/

And the race begins. That sounds like a TON of extra legwork. I can only imagine as it seems like I usually have my hands full with just handling audio for smaller stages.