BSS FDS 355 vs DBX Driverack PA

Kip Conner

Junior
Mar 13, 2011
Athens, GA
So, I have to make a choice on which one of these to keep.

BSS 355- a system processor with 3 inputs and 5 outputs, lots of parametric EQ to go around, delay, polarity inversions and limiting. Each input is assignable to any output for some flexibility on the matrixing of the signal.

DriveRack PA- a system processor with limited parametric, but has graphic EQ, delay, polarity inversion, compression and limiting

What I need is a unit that is a little more user friendly to guest engineers. They will never go into the parametric eq's and will most likely only use it for it's master compression and graphic eq. The PA has it's own processing and needs very little EQ, I'm just looking to scale back the amount of equipment I'm taking to a gig. The Drive rack certainly fits the bill, plus I still have another FDS355 at my disposal. If I keep the 355 than I will need to have a graphic eq on hand for the guest engineers. Oh and the guest engineer occurrences are less than once a year at this point.

I can do everything that I need to do with the DriverackPA so my gut is to keep it and loose the 355 which weighs three times as much and needs more stuff to make it really useable...

What do you think?

Re: BSS FDS 355 vs DBX Driverack PA

I'm personally not a fan of the DriveRack stuff sound wise. And the DRPA has a lot of extra junk you don't need/shouldn't use. And why would you want to use compression on the entire main mix? My personal feeling is that you should keep the BSS and lockout the controls. Get an outboard graphic for guest engineers. That's pretty much SOP, at least for me ;)

Greg

Last edited:
Re: BSS FDS 355 vs DBX Driverack PA

So, I have to make a choice on which one of these to keep.

BSS 355- a system processor with 3 inputs and 5 outputs, lots of parametric EQ to go around, delay, polarity inversions and limiting. Each input is assignable to any output for some flexibility on the matrixing of the signal.

DriveRack PA- a system processor with limited parametric, but has graphic EQ, delay, polarity inversion, compression and limiting

What I need is a unit that is a little more user friendly to guest engineers. They will never go into the parametric eq's and will most likely only use it for it's master compression and graphic eq. The PA has it's own processing and needs very little EQ, I'm just looking to scale back the amount of equipment I'm taking to a gig. The Drive rack certainly fits the bill, plus I still have another FDS355 at my disposal. If I keep the 355 than I will need to have a graphic eq on hand for the guest engineers. Oh and the guest engineer occurrences are less than once a year at this point.

I can do everything that I need to do with the DriverackPA so my gut is to keep it and loose the 355 which weighs three times as much and needs more stuff to make it really useable...

What do you think?

I'd keep the BSS too. The layout is flexible, as a guest engineer might expect. The Driverack PA, not so much so. With the permanently linked setups on the Driverack PA, you might need to conform the way you do something to fit its layout. That could be a source of stress for someone other than yourself.