Cable and Recepticle Ratings

Re: Cable and Recepticle Ratings

He also mentions some 150 feet of 10/4 that he receieved from a church - if he is using this anywhere in the chain with 50 amp connections.. he would be using the wrong ga for 50 amps..

Exactly. It wasn't unsafe with the 15a breaker, but mixing and matching can lead to unsafe use (Like plugging it into a REAL 14-50 outlet that are often in hotels and venues). With L14-20, everything is pretty much as it should be and dangerous operation is that much more unlikely.

That means that the distro has an L14-20 outlet, the feeder has an L14-20 plug and receptacle, and the truss has an L14-20 plug or inlet, depending on the design.

Exactly. It wasn't unsafe with the 15a breaker, but mixing and matching can lead to unsafe use (Like plugging it into a REAL 14-50 outlet that are often in hotels and venues). With L14-20, everything is pretty much as it should be and dangerous operation is that much more unlikely.

That means that the distro has an L14-20 outlet, the feeder has an L14-20 plug and receptacle, and the truss has an L14-20 plug or inlet, depending on the design.

Wow its been a while since ive checked this thread...

The 50A connector is gone from the cable...it has been replaced with an L14-30 connector and the receptacle on my distro was also changed accordingly to match. The L14-30 receptacle is breakered with a two pole single throw 15A breaker. I guess I could have gone with the L14-20 instead but i had already bought the connectors and i needed to get it done. I don't own any other equipment that could be accidentally circuted into this, so im not worried about that. Everything that i own runs on 120 and i dont own any other L14-30 or L14-50 cable...

Besides, wouldn't L14-20 still be an overrated connector at 20 amps, seeing that it would still be on 15A breakers? Potentially allowing a 20 amp stage stringer or the like to be plugged into the circuit...

Silas, pushbutton breakers on the truss box would be a great idea until they trip mid show and they are in the air...have fun resetting those...

Besides, wouldn't L14-20 still be an overrated connector at 20 amps, seeing that it would still be on 15A breakers? Potentially allowing a 20 amp stage stringer or the like to be plugged into the circuit...

the concern isn't with what one may or may not plug into the circuit, so long as, the circuit is suitably protected with regard to the lowest rated devices that could be used. by using the 15A circuit protection, pretty much any connector, cord, assembly could be safely used.

R~

the concern isn't with what one may or may not plug into the circuit, so long as, the circuit is suitably protected with regard to the lowest rated devices that could be used. by using the 15A circuit protection, pretty much any connector, cord, assembly could be safely used.

R~

Except that for an L14-?? the breakers need be linked.

The 50A connector is gone from the cable...it has been replaced with an L14-30 connector and the receptacle on my distro was also changed accordingly to match. The L14-30 receptacle is breakered with a two pole single throw 15A breaker. I guess I could have gone with the L14-20 instead but i had already bought the connectors and i needed to get it done. I don't own any other equipment that could be accidentally circuted into this, so im not worried about that. Everything that i own runs on 120 and i dont own any other L14-30 or L14-50 cable...

Silas, pushbutton breakers on the truss box would be a great idea until they trip mid show and they are in the air...have fun resetting those...

Already taken care of...Anytime 2 hot legs share a common neutral then they must be on a 2 pole single throw breaker...