Cadac DM1600

Re: Cadac DM1600

with that many nobs and cadac it be more like a digico sd8/24 or sd/9 "entry level" cant see it costin 5k

nob o maina!!!! the nobs are packed in there

tho i perfer leds around the nobs like i-live, venue,vi stuff so u can read the nob with out lookin at the screen

Last edited:

This was posted to the Theatre Sound Listserv by Philip Jones of Cadac overnight:
This is a new approach for CADAC since the administration/relaunch of a while ago. OK it’s not going to be $2000 but it’s also not going to be anywhere near $20000.The details online are a bit of a ‘taster’ running up to the Frankfurt MusikMesse on April 4th. I popped up in the thread because people were talking about the Presonus not having motor-faders and some problems in the Scene Recall stuff, I thought some of you might be interested in what we have been up to J

Hi Jason
I’ve looked at the web stuff again and it is disappointingly lacking in any spec. details. I can tell you the basic unit is 16 mono + 8 stereo channels into 4 groups & LR Master + 8 auxiliary sends. 96kHz sampling. Optional firewire is on a plug-in card which will cover other multi-channel digital IO later. The mix can be expanded with 16 channel rack extenders (2 off) for a maximum of 48 channels.

I don’t want to bug people with too much “product placement” so if anyone wants to know more please email privately.

Philip Jones
Digital Design Manager
cadac holdings ltd
(+44)1582 404202

For those of you who are unaware, Cadac's other digital console, the still mythical S-Digital is built around a J-Type surface, where all of the analog controls for each channel are present and control a proprietary digital engine under the hood. Last I heard it was rumored to cost in the neighborhood of $400,000, so I'm still not sure what Cadac's definition of "budget level" is.

If they can get it under the price of the LS9-16, it'll be Yamaha's worst nightmare in the community and regional theatre market.

Don't be surprised if CADAC seriously enters the lower cost console/mixer market. They were sold to a Chinese company a couple of years ago that is very well funded. Two years ago I saw a prototype of what "might" become something like this DM1600. The concept is to take the technology of the expensive S type and make a more sellable item using lower production costs.
Now I don't know this is exactly what happened but it doesn't take much effort to connect the dots. Maybe Phillip Jones can shed more light on this?

I for one would welcome a great low cost console that spices up the marketplace.
Come on Phillip Jones: Give us the scoop. Inquiring minds want to know.

I for one would welcome a great low cost console that spices up the marketplace.
Come on Phillip Jones: Give us the scoop. Inquiring minds want to know.

As would I. I got an email from Philip today, that indicated that the street price may end up being more than what we want. From what he's telling me, it's going to be more than the LS9-32. I told him that if they can find a way to get the price to the $5,000 mark, in line or slightly lower than the LS9-16, then they will kill Yamaha in that market segment, espcially, and get this, since it has 8 DCA groups.

He's given me more information, but I don't want to take all their glory (and really because I'm trying to get on the beta test list and I don't want to burn my bridges before I even get there).