Can anyone give me further insight into how Danleys handles such a wide variety of music?

Khac Hai

Freshman
Jun 29, 2017
Hey guys, so my church just moved into a new space which is pretty much a indoor basketball court with bleachers on either sides. Dimensions are 120ft from back to front, and 80ft wide. The A-frame ceiling is 20ft at the lowest to 28ft at the peak. We average about 550 at our 1st service and are a very fast growing church.
I've demoed the Danley SH-46 for tops, and the Danley DBH-218 dual subwoofer, Works Audio compact line array and another point source cabinet from Danley with a horn and 2 15" woofers. The Danley Sh-46 sounded amazingly clear and well balanced throughout all frequencies without it sounding harsh even when we had it turned up pretty loud. I did have someone sing on it and also enjoyed the true natural response that was also warm and rich.
However, I wasn't able to have a live band play through them to see how they handled live music.
My church does everything from Israel & New Breed to other CCM groups like Bethel, and quite a bit of contemporary black gospel. With that said, the need for quite a bit of SPL in a speaker cabinet is necessary, but definitely not sacrificing quality.

On the flip side, I've mixed on the JBL Vertec line array many times and always have been happy with them. I've done quite a bit of research on both and can see benefit with either.

Can anyone give me further insight into how Danleys handles such a wide variety of music?

Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Danley's synergy horn design creates a phase coherent wave front exiting a very well behaved horn. All of the components work very well together within their appropriate band passes, and the passive crossover network puts it all together quite nicely. It's also a coaxial cabinet, so it behaves much more like a point source. The end result is a low distortion, high fidelity system with very good pattern control and a lot of output.

To put it into simpler terms - it doesn't make a mess of what's put into it like most loud speaker designs (mine included!).

The more accurate a speaker is in both frequency and time, the more universal it will be. Conversely the worse a system is, the more it is said to be only good for specific types of music or even speech only.