Carvin TRxN

Tim Perry

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Utica, NY
A buddy of mine plans on getting four Carvin TRxN tops, probably the dual 15s.

All the models seem to have a 60 x 40 degree pattern.

This is a loud country band.

If he sets up with 2 per side and does not angle then by about 60 degrees, what will be the expected result?

Re: Carvin TRxN

Tim,

I have a few of the TRXn115's for monitors and one of the TRXn215's for a drum fill. Despite the price, I would say they are very decent. These will handle significant amounts of power and will get surprisingly loud. The TRXn's are much much much better than the previous generation of TRX, which......didn't handle much power at all.

I have begun the process of replacing all of my carvin monitors with peavey qw, which is far superior
icon_razz.gif

A big notch of cancellation somewhere between 1000-2000 hz that changes in frequency, width, and depth which also changes according to location in the soundfield so it cannot be corrected by eq.

I haven't heard any of the the TRxN speaekrs but I have about 50 or so of the TCS boxes in stock and I have another 12 of the Carvin LM15A powered speakers.

I have only lost one HF diaphram in a TCS box and that was a dimwit BE that managed that, but I still don't know how he did it.

When I bought the powered speakers they had an issue with the amplifier and all of the amps had to be replaced. It was a defect in a ribbon cable design. Since then, I have made more money off of the powered speakers than you could imagine. I currently have one of the 12 giving me a small issue but I just need to send the amp module in to get it fixed. So other than the initial part problem, I have had 1 semi-failure out of 12 speakers in the last four years. No diaphram or driver issues at all.

My TCS guy has been trying to get me to try the TRxN monitors but I already have 19 monitors, I don't really need more.

The CNC machines they use make for awesome wood work. The Line-X style coatings are bullet proof and they have a very unique HF protection in the passive TCS boxes but I don't know if they use that in the TRxN boxes or not.

Ryan, it looks like The TCS units also have a 60 X 40 pattern.

Do you typically use 2 or more per side and if so do you have suggestions on proper deployment?

Ryan, it looks like The TCS units also have a 60 X 40 pattern.

Do you typically use 2 or more per side and if so do you have suggestions on proper deployment?

I have experimented so much to find the best splay for the TCS 2500 tops. I do not have the 1500s and have only worked with them one time so I can't give advice on them.

For my applications, I find that they do not splay as if they are 60 degrees. I typically use three per side and I get approx 120 degrees out of them. I would have to go measure to find out the exact splay that I use. Feel free to contact me via phone or PM and I can tell you more.