Ceiling Speakers vs. 360 Speaker vs. wall mounted speakers

Firas Ali

Freshman
Dec 6, 2017
Hello,

I had a dream of opening a yoga studio for 10 years now and it is finally taking shape. I'm opening a yoga studio in Montreal next year and wanted to ask your expert opinion on what is the best way to deliver good quality sound for a yoga studio. I find that sound makes all the difference in a yoga class. The room is operated hot. 100F and 40% humidity. The objective is to get clear sound to reach all the practitioners (approx. 35 people) in a 750sqft space. We don't normally play at high volumes. I noticed that some studios use one large speaker. However the practitioners close to it don't find it comfortable. I read that ceiling speakers are not as good as wall speakers.

It's hard for me to know where to start. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Firas

Firas,

Ceiling height and room shape will make a big difference in what the best choice would be for even coverage. The surface treatment of the room is important too, highly reflective surfaces are more challenging than absorptive.
If your room is 27.4 feet square with a 15' ceiling, a single center overhead speaker could suffice. If the room is 15' x 50' x 8', four ceiling or wall speakers may work better. Whether you want playback only, or also use a live microphone and it's position should be considered also.

Hello,

I had a dream of opening a yoga studio for 10 years now and it is finally taking shape. I'm opening a yoga studio in Montreal next year and wanted to ask your expert opinion on what is the best way to deliver good quality sound for a yoga studio. I find that sound makes all the difference in a yoga class. The room is operated hot. 100F and 40% humidity. The objective is to get clear sound to reach all the practitioners (approx. 35 people) in a 750sqft space. We don't normally play at high volumes. I noticed that some studios use one large speaker. However the practitioners close to it don't find it comfortable. I read that ceiling speakers are not as good as wall speakers.

It's hard for me to know where to start. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Firas

Keep in mind that when someone mentions ceiling speakers there are all sorts of different ones. What you are doing might cost more to do with ceiling speakers if you use the right ones for the application. You don’t want the cheap ones at all. Also depending on if there are other tenants in the building above you, if you use ceiling speakers you will most likely need the type that are fully enclosed to limit the amount of sound that goes up to the next floor above you. If the room has a suspended ceiling the installation of ceiling speakers is much easier than if it is a solid ceiling. There are a lot of factors that come into play in doing this properly.