Charge for tuning

Jason Lavoie

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Ottawa
I typically build the cost of tuning a system into the quote, and it's no big deal to bring out the hardware and spend some time at the end of the install to put the finishing touches on.
but I'm getting more and more calls to re-tune existing systems where the situation has changed (or where no tuning was done in the first place)

How do you normally charge for that sort of service? Just come in, tune and leave. no repairs or other work involved.

I've toyed with billing at a higher hourly rate (for the more specialized service) and I've also tried billing at our usual hourly rate for service calls but then added on a rental fee for the Smaart rig (Laptop, software, interface, mics, 2x Lectro wireless, cables, stands, etc)
Obviously each method has its benefits or drawbacks depending on how complicated the job is

I'm curious if anyone handles this differently or if I'm on the right track. A lot of my customers aren't the type to shop around so I want to make sure I'm treating them fairly.

Jason

Re: Charge for tuning

Hey Jason,

I bill my day rate, which always included my gear anyway. For anything less than 8 hours I bill hourly, basically my day rate divided by 8 (so actually a little more, since my day rate is normally good for 10 hours). Four hour minimum plus travel.

Back when I was in contracting-the billing was the same-for either an alignment for a job that we did the install on or to align some other system.

The "tuning" rate was about twice the regular install labor rate. This was for the actual alignment with a greatly reduced cost for travel time. Plus expenses-not so much food-but hotel-plane fare-mileage etc.

LIke Bennett it was usually 1/2 or full day rates. It never was exact in hours-generally an agreed upon amount ahead of time (based on the complexity of the job).

If I went over a couple of hours-no big deal. But if I ran into other issues that had to be corrected before doing the alignment (rewiring a rack for example) then that would be extra.

It was usually guesses at time anyway. I don't know of any case that the actual hours were used or the figure was changed.

Either standard hourly rates or a lump sum fee based upon what I know of the system and venue and what I think that will relate to in terms of the time and effort required. But keep in mind that my standard hourly rates as a Consultant are probably quite a bit higher than for a typical Installer or Tech.