Chauvet Fixture Repair

Marc Hayes

Freshman
Jan 12, 2011
Quad Cities, IL/IA
www.tnprod.com
I've had a local venue contact me about repairing some of their Chauvet LED PAR64-36VWB fixtures. (They are LED White and Amber Par Cans) They have 8 that have various issues, mainly just one panel of the LED's not lighting up.

I called Chauvet and they don't have parts, and wont service them. They couldn't direct me to any local dealers who could either.

Does anyone know of anyone around that could repair these things? Or are we going to have to tell them to abandon them and get something new?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Chauvet Fixture Repair

If repair cost equals shipping, low-quantity parts cost, and North American tech hourly costs - buying new with mass quantity parts and Far East wages will be lower.

We have had great experience and support from Chauvet Pro, the higher cost items can be worth fixing. Chauvet DJ is only worth replacing typically.

You're talking about a discontinued fixture that was about $200 new. The cost of labor alone to take it apart and troubleshoot the problem makes it uneconomical versus replacement. Would you pay $100 to fix the light and have no warranty after it gets back? Me either. Now, if you've got free time and can tinker, you may be able to piece a few of them together into some working units, but these are essentially throw away items. You don't take the time to replace the filament on a burned out light bulb, you replace the bulb. This is pretty close to the same thing.

I certainly understand they are cheap fixtures. Trouble is, this client has close to 250 of these fixtures in their facilities. So, they don't really like the idea of having to get something new.

....I didn't originally sell them these either. Im just stuck trying to help them out as a new client of mine. Just to clear the air there!

In the end, repairing 8 of these at whatever cost is still cheaper than replacing 250 of them.

Why would you have to replace all of them?

Drop something new with a similar light profile in its place and be done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I honestly think that anyone who might be able to repair them is going to cost more than replacing them with a similar fixture. Mainly because I'd wager they'll have to figure out how to repair them from scratch. Which in turn you'd have the same bit of luck doing it yourself.

EDIT:
I was curious and did some research while I was thinking about it. The SlimPARPro VW is essentially what you'd replace it with. Similar optics, slightly higher output, and comparable DMX control. The only thing to watch for is that you get the version that has the gel frame holder if they need it. I'd call Chauvet to be sure.

The cool thing about the SlimPAR series is that enough pros use them that they've got to have either good support or a second hand market.

Last edited: