Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA Review

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I have been on a quest to find an LED wash fixture suitable for general use, with good color gamut and enough brightness to be used with 575w Source Four type fixtures. Though I don’t do events specifically for video or that use IMag, there always seems to be someone with a camera around, and so I wanted a video safe fixture. I decided that my buy point is getting all of this in a fixture less than $350. If I wasn’t able to find a suitable fixture at that price point, I would wait a year or so and stick to my conventional fixtures.

My first attempt was the Blizzard Q12A RGBA fixture. The review of that fixture is here: http://www.soundforums.net/live/threads/1938-Blizzard-Q12A-RGBA-LED-Par

The Blizzard has good color gamut and brightness, but suffers from some build quality idiosyncrasies, and is not video safe.

My next attempt is the Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA. http://www.chauvetlighting.com/slim-par-pro-rgba.html This fixture’s MSRP is $380 – slightly more than the Blizzard. This review will concentrate on the comparison to the Blizzard, as I’ve already done a comparison of the Blizzard Q12A to a number of conventional fixtures, and the Chauvet’s output is similar enough to the Blizzard that I don’t think going over that again is worth the time.

The Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA has 42 1 watt LEDs – 12 red, 12 green, 12 blue, and 6 amber. It is rated at 10,000 lux at 1m with a beam angle of 21 degrees and a field angle of 42 degrees according to the website, and 10,000 lux at 1m with a beam angle of 22 degrees and a field angle of 37 degrees according to the manual. I'm not sure which (if either) is correct. New products from many vendors seem to suffer from conflicting specifications.

Another conflicting spec is the number of linkable units. This number varies in the website, manual, and vendor videos from about 9 lights to 22. Based on the fixture's ~50w draw, linking 19 as the website suggests seems reasonable, providing a 10A load. The ability to power 30+ of these lights on a 20A circuit is truly incredible, and will solve many power problems of small operators like me who don't usually have the luxury of a multi-hundred amp distro.

The SlimPar is made of diecast aluminum, and is fanless. Like most similar LED fixtures, it has a split yoke so it can be used on the floor without some kind of extra plinth, and has an Edison outlet for pass-through power. The included power cord is fairly short – 4 feet or so, and has a locking IEC connector. Overall build quality is really good – this feels like a very pro fixture and has a nice glass lens cover. The included manual is reasonably good and is in English only.

Chauvet has an optional narrow angle lens that can be fitted by the end user. This converts the fixture to a 15 degree beam angle with a 28 degree field angle. The brightness is rated at 20,000 lux at 1m with the narrow lens.

Replacing the lens involves removing 4 allen screws to remove the bezel and protective glass, and another 5 #1 Phillips screws to remove the lens assembly itself. In my opinion this is too much goofing around to do on a per-gig basis, but is certainly easy enough to convert some of your stock to the narrower beam angle beforehand.
attachment.php

In all photos and videos, the Chauvet SlimPar Pro is on the left and the Blizzard is on the right.

Here are both fixtures with all channels at 100%
attachment.php

Here is the red channel of each at 100%
attachment.php

The green at 100%
attachment.php

Blue 100%
attachment.php

Amber 100%.
attachment.php

All of the above pictures are with the same exposure settings. As with the Blizzard, the amber channel is about half the brightness of the other colors. This is understandable for the SlimPar, as there are 6 amber lights, compared to 12 of the other 3 colors. I’m not entirely sure why that seems to be the general convention of LED wash fixtures – apparently the amber is just for saturation enhancement.

I tried taking some photos of secondary colors, but I don’t think the representation on my camera was good enough to publish. Both the Blizzard and the Chauvet make a great orange and a good yellow.

The amber channel’s contribution is somewhat subtle, but it does make a noticeable difference on pinks, yellows, oranges, and other warm colors.

Here is a pink without the amber:
attachment.php

Same RGB settings but adding amber:
attachment.php

The fixtures are quite similar in output. The Blizzard seems slightly brighter than the Chauvet. The Chauvet has a narrower beam angle than the Blizzard.

The Blizzard is a quad-color behind a single lens design. This prevents multicolored shadows for the most part, however the Blizzard’s field is blotchy – you can discern several hot spots of various colors due to the diodes hitting the lenses slightly differently.
attachment.php

The Chauvet has independent lenses for each diode, so it does cast some multicolored shadows. In spite of this, the beam is very smooth and is free of the color blotching the Blizzard suffers from. At the edges of the field, the Chauvet fixture does have some imperfect color overlap.

Two issues plague low cost LED fixtures – poor dimming curves that are “steppy” – particularly at low output settings, and flickering on video due to a slow PWM rate.

The Chauvet fixture lists solutions to these two issues as marquee features – several different dimming curves that mimic incandescent fixtures, and “flicker free” operation.

The Chauvet fixture has 4 dimming curve settings – off, dim 1, dim 2, and dim3. When set to off, the Chauvet fixture does indeed have the same stepping issues as the Blizzard. When set to any of the dim 1-3 settings, this problem is completely eliminated – the fixture somehow interpolates and smoothes the dimming, at the cost of slowing the dimming response a bit. I’m not sure why anyone would use dim 2 or dim 3 – they don’t seem to add anything to smoothness, and add more latency than necessary.

Video compatibility
This aspect has been a really interesting part of the journey for me. I spoke to Will from Blizzard before ordering the Q12A, and he said the PWM rate was 400 Hz and “they looked good on video”. After testing this and finding that they don’t look remotely good on video, I questioned whether he was mistaken about the 400Hz refresh rate, or if 400Hz wasn’t adequate. I was even more concerned and confused when Chauvet told me the refresh rate of the SlimPar Pro was also 400Hz, but that it was “flicker free”. This bothered me because I don’t have a local dealer with a good selection of the latest fixtures to compare and test, so I’ve had to buy a sample of what I was interested in myself. Too many failed attempts gets expensive.

I tested the refresh rate of the Blizzard fixture with a frequency counter and found it to be 370Hz.

I have shot several videos which are contained in the zip file attached to the post.

The video labeled 50pct2 is the fixtures at 50% power (Chauvet on left, Blizzard on right). This was shot with an AVCHD format camcorder in “30P” mode. My results weren't materially different in 60i mode.

The video labeled 25pct is the fixtures at 25%

You can see that the Blizzard on the right is unwatchable, and the Chauvet is fine.

The third video - Chauvet video, is zoomed in on the Chauvet. You can see slight banding. I’ve played with this in a couple “real world” situations, and unless you are shooting a full frame shot of one fixture, this isn’t a problem. Even with this slight issue, I believe it’s safe to call the Chauvet a video safe fixture.

When I had the cover off the Chauvet investigating replacing the lens, I probed around and the highest frequency I could find was 300Hz. This is highly interesting – it’s a lower frequency than the Blizzard. I don’t have an oscilloscope handy to see if there is some other mechanism going on – some kind of filter capacitor, multiple DC rails, etc., but whatever they are doing, it works.

Conclusion

The Blizzard Q12A isn't a bad fixture for overall brightness. For a DJ it's likely to be preferable to the Chauvet - lower cost, has a sound activated mode, and the quad diodes behind each lens. For theatrical use, the Blizzard isn't great - build quality is marginal, the fixture has a fan and quite a lot of light leaks out of the fan slots. Dimming isn't particularly smooth, and the fixture isn't video safe.

The Chauvet is a much more "pro" fixture, at least for my purposes. While the light output is slightly less than the Blizzard in my testing, the beam quality is better, the physical construction is MUCH better than the Blizzard, the fixture is video safe, and using the dim 1 curve, is very suitable for theatrical use.

The bottom line is I’m pulling the trigger on another batch of these. They are suitable for my quasi-theatrical corporate use, and the build quality is really nice – this is a fixture that won’t embarrass me to have amongst other pro gear.

If anyone would like to see a higher res version of the videos, let me know and I can get them to you.

Attachments

• IMG_9660.jpg
    IMG_9660.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9661.jpg
    IMG_9661.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9662.jpg
    IMG_9662.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9663.jpg
    IMG_9663.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9664.jpg
    IMG_9664.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9671.jpg
    IMG_9671.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9669.jpg
    IMG_9669.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9677.jpg
    IMG_9677.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Chauvet videos.zip
    444.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA Review

When you saw the stepping, what controller were you using and what was the DMX frame rate?

When using my MagicDMX interface at 33 Frames i didn't have any stepping issues within chases, but with the cheaper controllers, it was an issue(set a chase to have a 5 second fade out from max, fire cue, watch. Unfortunately, the cheaper controllers don't tell you what their frame rate actually is.

I'd also ad that it is easy to get a nice even wash across a stage with the chauvet model. With that bright spot in the middle, I feel like it would be more difficult to do so with the blizzard.

Something to think about: the camera is capturing the image with red green and blue pixels. Also the monitor you are viewing the image on most likely only has RGB pixels. So the difference adding an amber light makes is hard to tell over a computer monitor, but makes a significant difference in real life

Last edited:

Hi Charles. My controller is an ETC SmartFade ML. I'm not sure what the DMX frame rate is, or if it can be changed. I'll check on that.

I played with fade times (mechanical fading - not timed fades) and with the dimmer curve set to off I couldn't make the fade smooth with any slow to medium fade. The stepping between the Blizzard and Chauvet was almost identical. It's possible there's a setting in my controller that can improve that. If so, I imagine it would improve fading with the Blizzard as well. The Chauvet dimming curve is nice in that it clearly plays well with basic controllers - there's no need for external smoothing - it just works, at the cost of slower dim times - something that isn't a problem for how I'll use the fixture.

If you were trying to use a controller to strobe these, the slower dim curve may be an issue, as you said I think in your other post. I assume if you use the fixture in 10 channel mode and use the on-fixture strobe function that would not be a problem.

I agree about the Chauvet beam - it's nicer than the Blizzard. I also agree about the difficulty of capturing colored light with a camera. I played around post processing the amber pictures and no matter what I did I couldn't get the camera to represent the color as anything close to amber - it always came out very red. I had my Canon 5DII set to 3000k white balance for all pictures for whatever that's worth.

As you said, the amber is a pretty nice addition - the difference in warm colors is very substantial and isn't well represented by my pictures. For my purposes this is more important than the multiple colors behind each lens - I'm glad I picked the RGBA version over the TRI version.

I did a little more evaluation. On the DMX data rate - my board has "Max", "Fast", "Med", and "Slow". I actually had some strange flickering occasionally on the Blizzard when not in Max mode. Other than that, there was no improvement to the dimming curve using any DMX speed setting.

I also wanted to get to the bottom of the power draw question and how many fixtures can be linked. Chauvet lists the fixture as drawing 86 watts at 120 volts on the website, with 9 units linkable. The manual indicates that the fixture draws 47 watts (but lists the current at .7A@120V which is 84 watts) and 19 can be linked. I measured the fixture at 78 watts at full output.

There are no on-fixture markings for the maximum current draw, but the IEC cord is labeled at 10A, which suggests that a maximum of 15 fixtures can be linked. I'm not sure this matters terribly much - that's still a good number (whatever the actual number is), but it's annoying that the documentation is inconsistent.

The Blizzard draws 120 watts for slightly more output, and I suspect slightly fewer lumens per watt.

I tried another camera just to verify the video operation of both fixtures - this time my Canon 5dII DSLR. I experimented with both 30P and 24P, and both rates had trouble with the Blizzard, and both worked perfectly fine with the Chauvet - I couldn't even reproduce the slight issue in my earlier video zoomed in on the Chauvet beam that my AVCHD Canon HF S100 had.

I'm curious how many people use fixtures like these in any mode other than one DMX channel per color. I'm struggling to see why the 5 channel mode offers anything over the 4 channel mode (separate master intensity plus 4 color intensities). I attempted to use the 10 channel mode with my SmartFade ML, but there isn't a manufacturer supplied personality for this fixture, and I struggled to map some of the more obscure channels. Does anyone use more than the basic mode for fixtures like this?

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to play with the 10 chanel mode, as i'm currently waiting on chamsys to finish the personality file I requested. Though, 10 chanels per fixture eats up a universe quickly, with 16 across the front and more in the back for uplighting, I've eaten 2/3'rds of a universe before I've patched a single mover. I'd personaly like it if the fixture had a HSI plus strobe and color temp, but that would probably raise the price consideribly.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Last edited:

Hi TJ, and everyone else,

Writing from Canada, my first post on the forum (I've been lurking until now). First of all, thanks for all your pictures and reviews so far - it has been a great help to a newbie like me. I was wondering if you could help me with a little advice?

I'm setting up a small lighting rig from scratch, and am waffling between 4 SlimPar Pro RGBA or SlimPar Pro Tri for front wash lighting. This is to start - might get into back or up lighting in the future, but I'm a small fish and have only limited money to spend, hopefully on quality gear I can use perhaps for a bigger system in the future. I'm waffling because of beam angle and color-mixing considerations. I will often light from close up, perhaps with the cans mounted on top of speakers (they have threaded inserts I can take advantage of, maybe with two lights on each speaker) and sometimes on their own, separate lighting stands. If I'm close I'm worried the RGBA's will not have optimal color mixing. Tri's should be no problem at close range. But the RGBA's have a wider beam then the Tri's, giving better coverage at close range. Also, the RGBA's offer the lens upgrade in case I get into lighting from a further distance in the future - could prove very useful.

Both models are fanless, which is a major consideration (I sometimes do folk music concerts which are about 50% sound-reinforcement (ie. quiet music). Also, video compatability is a nice feature. Another fellow here in Ottawa has complained about his Bilzzard slim cans because of noise, and it's no surprise to me.

I guess addition of amber lights in the RGBA is another consideration. Being mainly a sound guy and performer, I guess the implications are sort of lost on me. I'm told it's what you really need for lighting faces, so maybe this pushes things in the RGBA direction if the Tri just can't do this...

So you can see my conundrum. Beam width vs. color fringing/mixing with amber light production as an added consideration. Any advice would be really helpful! You seem to have a lot of experience with these fixtures....

Anyone else with advice is of course very welcome to chime in....

Many thanks in advance,

...Greg

Last edited:

Hi Greg. I'm glad the review was helpful. I have been on the same path as you - coming primarily from the sound end of things, but then choosing to meet another need when the opportunity presents itself.

Here are a couple thoughts about lighting in general. If you're looking for pleasing white front wash capability, neither of these fixtures are for you, and I will go on a limb and say that the only LED fixtures that will do that well are specific models for that purpose like the ETC Selador white versions, and possibly the sister fixture to the SlimParPro RGBA, the SlimParPro VW and similar. RGB and RGBA fixtures just don't make that great a white. I'm keeping my conventional Source4 and similar lekos for that purpose.

If you're looking to replace PARs or something that's gelled, RGB/RGBA LEDs will do very well.

I still have my Blizzard Q12A in the house, which is similar to the "tri" style with all colors behind one lens.

In my observation the advantages of a "tri"-style fixture are pretty overrated. If you're about 8" from the SlimParPro RGBA or farther you will get consistent color illumination. The tris claim "no multicolored shadows" which is still technically true, but they don't tell you that you still get multiple shadows - they're just all the same color. In m opinion, the difference between multiple shadows and multicolor shadows is pretty minimal.

The amber is a nice addition. It may be something you'll have to see in person to appreciate, but it's worth it to me. I don't regret getting the RGBA version over the tri at all. If the wider beam width is also desirable for your purposes, I think your decision should be easy.

On the fan issue - the noise is there on my Blizzard, but I have a hard time imagining that it would disrupt anything. As far as I can tell it's not speed sensitive so it just adds a little white noise. If you're in a super small room 30' x 30' or so it might matter, but any event with more than 50 people in attendance should be fine. Blizzard is hardly the only company to have fans in their fixtures - virtually all moving fixtures do, video projectors do, power amps do, etc.

Really great of you to help me with this! I'm most often doing concerts for folk acts when I'm needing lighting....though they may come in handy doing sound for a rock act or two in a bar, but they usually have installed lighting and I don't even bring my main speakers to high risk gigs like that. A wash would be a great improvement over what I have now (nothing) but I honestly don't know what I'm doing here.

What if I started with, say, two RGBA's and two VW's, so I'd have one of each mounted as a pair, on or near my main speakers? I'm usually not in any position to hang them from the ceiling in front of the performers, the obvious first choice.... This would give me white and color to use as needed.... or maybe you were thinking of some kind of strip style fixture for white lighting? Then I could add more lights in the future as I need them or can afford them?as a side note, I can purchase new Chauvet RGBA's and VW's for about US$260 from an online store and dart over the border to pick them up (no Canadian delivery). Thanks again for your time and valuable input!...GregAgain, many thanks for you input!

Yikes, just looked up the list price of the Pearl and maybe i could afford it in my next life as a lighting guy......I think I'm not in that league. Regards...Greg

Hi Greg. I'm not sure which pearl you're referring to.

If you want to start with only 4 lights, I would suggest getting all RGBAs. At that minimal level, you really can't afford to be picky about white quality, and you will struggle just getting coverage.

White light is affordable to do well with cheap PAR cans. You can get package deals of PAR 38s for pretty cheap, and if you use them without gels the brightness would be decent for what you are doing. That plus a set of 4 RGBAs, a controller and a dimmer pack or two for the PAR38s and you would have a decent start.

I have some RGBAW lights that work great for front line lighting. They were a bit more than what you have mentioned but then it was a year ago that I got em so maybe the price is down a bit? With the amber and white you can get a nice hue and still do effects with the colors when you want.

Don't forget that most folkish acts don't want a light show. It's kinda distracting. I'm with TJ, par 38 halogen whites for a wash are just fine. I've been following this thread because I hope to someday be able to afford to wash the stage floor with color while we're in white in the middle. Most folkish performers would consider seeing their facial expressions to be more important than seeing your fancy lights.

Thanks to everyone for your input! Since I'm starting fresh in the lighting area, there are so many choices....hence my trouble in choosing gear.

My major experience with lights that I have set up and torn down have been with a band I augment as a fiddle player - it's their lighting rig, which consists of a bunch of par cans. They are always looking for a separate circuit they can use for lights because they tend trip breakers if the sound gear is added in. So I was hoping to do a purely LED rig to avoid the hassle - not that I won't need a separate circuit for lights anyways (due to possible audio interference) but so I don't have to worry about power requirements so much. I think I'm willing to pay for that convenience....

That being said, I don't have unlimited resources. Since I already bring a 13" MacBook Pro to gigs to use with my Presonus digital mixer (for remote control using an iPad, saving band settings, running iTunes, sometimes recording the show) I thought a USB-DMX interface would be ideal for me. One that can save a scene in case my computer crashes for some reason (like a Chauvet Xpress 512 or equivalent). I could do basic set up of light intensity and colors, for example, wirelessly using my iPad or, in the future, maybe use another i-device to control lights during a show if I want to get fancy. To start though, I'm just looking to leverage the gear I already own.

Btw, doing live sound wirelessly using an iPad rocks as I can check out and tweak the sound in different parts of the room not only during sound check but also during the show. I can walk up to musicians who are relatively inexperienced and talk to them about their monitor mix too, which is a massive time saver....

To answer a previous question, the ETC Selador Pearl is what I saw, but it lists for over $1000.....and it appears to have an 18 degree beam angle. I have a feeling I'd be better off with some Chauvet VW's to get more coverage, as TJ was saying.

Rob, which RGBAW fixtures do you have? Do they have fans? Are they noisy?

I'm not doing sound for huge acts, but sometimes 4 or 5 people (maybe 3 in front, two tucked in behind) at the largest. Folk acts have a lot of trios these days, probably due to low income of bands. Mark Anderson is correct in that I'm not really interested in lighting effects, though in the future I may change that mind on that and want to, say, do black outs after songs and change the colors from song to song. Strobes and dancing lights are not really very likely unless I give up on performing and doing sound for bands and become a DJ, in which case I'll be re-jigging my entire rig anyways. I was hoping to get away with not too many fixtures, smaller ones that pack small, low power, not too noisy....I know I want my cake and eat it too. I guess that's why the Slimpars are so attractive because they have all that.

What if I bought 4 Slimpar VW's and a couple of Slimpar RGBA's, to start? That would give me two white lights per side, and one color. Then I could add more color and white lights as my rig grows? I can get VW's for about $245 each I think, and RGBA's for $265 each. That's $1510, just for lights. More than I was originally planning on spending, but if it's quality stuff and gets the job done then I'll find a way to make it work.

Is there a better (ie. less expensive) way to wash the stage with pleasing white LED-based light than using a par-type fixture? Remembering that I'm hitting the stage from the near the mains usually, not from a truss going across the stage.

Also, any recommendations for a USB-DMX controller, preferably one that can save a scene? I'm a little worried if my computer crashes the lights will go out....or maybe that just doesn't happen with LED fixtures? I think I can get a Chauvet Xpress 512 new for $325, if I shop around I'm sure less than that used....

Thanks again for everyone's generous help!

...Greg

Last edited:

I have not looked too closely at the Selador stuff since it's out of my budget too. I actually haven't seen the Chauvet VW fixture in person, either. I'm sure the build quality is equal to the RGBA and the whites are much better than the RGBA. If you don't already have dimmers and want to go the PC controller route, then the VWs may work very well for you.

I already have dimmers and conventional fixtures as a sunk cost, so replacing my lekos with LEDs is a harder decision, and still not completely possible since I use the shutter functionality of the lekos, and LED lekos are VERY expensive. If you get sone of the VWs, please do a review.

Hi TJ, and everyone else,

Writing from Canada, my first post on the forum (I've been lurking until now)....

...Another fellow here in Ottawa has complained about his Bilzzard slim cans because of noise, and it's no surprise to me....

...Greg

You are in Ottawa as well I take it? I might be able to let you try some things.

Welcome to the forum.

Marlow

Posted via Tapatalk app - lower standards may apply.

Last edited:

I ordered 16 fixtures. I have been playing with 8 of them for a while, but only unpacked the second 8 this weekend. I discovered that one of the fixtures is DOA. It will be interesting to see how good Chauvet's service is.

I had a failure with a 4-Bar about 1-1/2 years into the warranty.
They gave me an RA, I shipped it to Florida on my dime.
They fixed it and shipped it back on their dime, no problem.
Works fine, process was easy. No hassle other than shipping cost and 2 weeks round trip.

I have not looked too closely at the Selador stuff since it's out of my budget too. I actually haven't seen the Chauvet VW fixture in person, either. I'm sure the build quality is equal to the RGBA and the whites are much better than the RGBA. If you don't already have dimmers and want to go the PC controller route, then the VWs may work very well for you. I already have dimmers and conventional fixtures as a sunk cost, so replacing my lekos with LEDs is a harder decision, and still not completely possible since I use the shutter functionality of the lekos, and LED lekos are VERY expensive. If you get sone of the VWs, please do a review.
You are exactly correct, TJ. I am starting from scratch, and am avoiding dimmer packs entirely. LED all the way...Marlow has been very helpful so far....but busy....good for him if you ask me! I went ahead and ordered 4VW's and 2 RGBA's to try to stick to my budget as mush as possible and get essential white light for concerts. Marlow again was very helpful in my decision...When the lights arrive, I think I'll hit him up for a comparison with his Colorado's, if he's up for it. Will post for your benefit.Thanks to everyone for your help! ...Greg