Cheap Fire Resistant grill cloth

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
I've got a situation where I may needing some Fire Reisistant Grill Cloth to cover some sound absorbing insulation. In this particular case the fabric will never be seen so I'd like to use what ever is cheapest.

Any recommendations?

As a bit more background:
We are building a ~36" high wall topped with a pipe to hang off-topics and to act as a safety rail to go around the edge of a mezzanine level storage area open to the youth room at my church. There are some fans etc on the mezzanine so I had figured on stuffing the wall full of the pink Fiberglass foam and covering the inside surface it with fabric to absorb some of the sound being generated up there. The outside will be painted drywall to match the existing wall below. The noisy stuff is already there and it's not to objectionable, we are figuring that any extra bit of absorption that's cheap can't hurt. I also figure that "inside" a wall like this I can really stuff the normal pink fiber glass in to get the density up.

Any additional pointers or alternate ways to do this?

Thanks

Philip

Re: Cheap Fire Resistant grill cloth

Philip, think about how you are going to attach the fabric, prevent it from being damaged and so on. In fact based on your description it sounds like fiberglass board direct applied to the face of the wall toward the equipment may be a simpler, more durable and more effective treatment. That is what I often recommend for mechanical spaces, in some cases with a hardware cloth (expanded metal mesh, think chicken wire) covering to limit potential tears.

As you say, any treatment might help but the wall itself acting as a barrier may help more than absorption on a 36" high wall on one side of the space, especially if things may get stored against that wall.

Re: Cheap Fire Resistant grill cloth

Philip,

I would also defer to your local Fire Safety/Building Inspector. If you are concerned about Fire resistant materials, your local inspectors will be able to direct you to a specific "Rating" of fire resistance required. Otherwise, you may be finding yourself or your building not up to code. Fines etc...