Cleaning Lavalier Mics? (B6, B3, MKE2)

Simon Eves

Sophomore
May 12, 2013
What do people use to clean these mics?

I have heard tell of ultrasonic jewelry cleaners for the removable caps. Can anyone recommend a particular model (ideally <$100 or even <$50).

Is there any safe way (or need) to clean the mics themselves, or would that just damage them?

Re: Cleaning Lavalier Mics? (B6, B3, MKE2)

What do people use to clean these mics?

I have heard tell of ultrasonic jewelry cleaners for the removable caps. Can anyone recommend a particular model (ideally <$100 or even <$50).

Is there any safe way (or need) to clean the mics themselves, or would that just damage them?

Ultrasonic cleaners do a great job on the removable windscreens and boost caps. I like this one: SRA TruPower UC-20D Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner

Smith & Nephew Uni-Solve to clean the jackets.

Ultrasonic cleaners do a great job on the removable windscreens and boost caps. I like this one: SRA TruPower UC-20D Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner

That one's probably a bit OTT for me, but I might try a cheap one. Do you just use water, or a cleaning product too?

Smith & Nephew Uni-Solve to clean the jackets.

I have a bunch of those (my wife's a nurse!) but I find Goo-Gone better at cleaning off Transpore glue.

Do I assume that the bare mic heads aren't something I should attempt cleaning. What if crap gets in past the cap grill?

That one's probably a bit OTT for me, but I might try a cheap one. Do you just use water, or a cleaning product too?

I have a bunch of those (my wife's a nurse!) but I find Goo-Gone better at cleaning off Transpore glue.

Do I assume that the bare mic heads aren't something I should attempt cleaning. What if crap gets in past the cap grill?

I usually use a little mild dishwashing liquid in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I opt for the Uni-Solve because for a couple of reasons. Goo Gone is kind of nasty to work with. The Uni-Solve swabs are convenient and evaporate quickly after cleaning. The oily residue from Goo Gone tends to stick around for a while. There is also a skin irritation warning on the label.

Other than a quick blast of canned air to get rid of dust and moisture I don’t know of any way to clean the actual mic element without damaging it. As soon as a mic doesn’t sound brand new I remove it from service and replace it.