Colorstrips....

Oscar Castro

Freshman
Aug 12, 2011
Berwyn/Chicago
Hey guys, im not a light guy but i need to get some basic and cheap lights, used ones are fines too.

It's for a band stage and they suggest me to get 2 of the 4 leds on a pole, but they're ok but i think for the same money maybe i can get 4 large colorstrips and somebody suggest me to get 2 par cans 64 too, but no idea which ones and where to get it, i ck on ebay and prices and models vary, maybe u guys can send me links for places where i can buy.

Thanks,

Oscar

Re: Colorstrips....

Hey Oscar. The company I work for has Chauvet Colorbands (click here to see the product page). They're really nice "strip" lights. I'd reccomend contacting your local Chauvet dealer. (don't use guitar center. or musicians friend. or anything like that. i'd reccomend going to your local dealer. not a chain store). If you dont know any I know a Chauvet dealer I could get you in contact with. As for Pars. I dont know a lot about them. but I've heard these are decent LED Pars. Click here to see them again, if you dont know a local irradiant dealer, the same person who is a chauvet dealer also deals in irradiant.

Let me know if you're interested so I can let him know.

--Michael

I'm going to ask a different set of questions how long are you wanting them to last? Long time =-) and how are you controlling them? maybe with a small mixer

Thanks!

A small mixer? Hmmm.

At any rate, LED fixtures use multiple DMX channels for control, anywhere from 5 to 12 (maybe more, I'm not really a lighting guy). Most of the cheap moving light controllers will suffice, but you need to make sure you can perform all the functions you want with a workflow that makes sense for you and your gigs. We had this bite us.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Hey Michael, are those colorbands are brighter than the colorstrips? cheaper? price?

Thanks,

Oscar

The colorbands are more expensive. But they're more than worth it. they're rugged, they have individual pixel control for a bunch of effects if you want to do that eventually. And yes, the colorband's are alot brighter than the colorstrips. For controllers I reccomend you use Elation Compu Show (click here to view) it give's you alot more freedom than a normal controller would. and when you want to do effects with the colorbands, or just color it comes in handy as well as doing the normal brightness and color control. Plus you can get a midi controller (Such as a Behringer BCR2000, or a M-Audio TriggerFinger, or any other product like that) and control it. but, if you want to go cheaper, a "small mixer" will do just fine for what you're talking about doing.

--Michael

My biggest issue (I'm more lighting guy than sound) is hearing the names irradiant and American dj, in my opinion and several others they are piles of junk that will work for about two months then stop for no apparent reason and the documentation on either of them is next to nothing. Personally for cheap longer lasting leds I'd go with elation... they at least attempt to help their end users.

Sent from my ADR6300

The only reason I recommended it is because his criteria was cheap. Your review is the first bad thing i've heard about irradiant. I do agree with you that ADJ is horrible, though.

Unfortunately, the people who buy Irradiant generally don't review them... I have had to use several Irradiant peices of gear and never had a nice time with them... Their par 64 is just a generic china inc. par branded with their name, it claims to use 5 channels.. when it makes the 6th channel useless... (causes weird issues with other fixtures and the fixture its "attached" to.) As far as I'm concerned they are great for movie sets when its just their for the LED par can look such as for some tv shows that use a "stage" and need somethign to put in the picture they are cheap and are color changing but a pain to get working and keep working.

Elation has started to make some great progress with not only their Stage series (pro gear), and their DJ stuff. It sounds like they are the first China Inc. buyer that actually seems to want to keep in business.

My biggest issue (I'm more lighting guy than sound) is hearing the names irradiant and American dj, in my opinion and several others they are piles of junk that will work for about two months then stop for no apparent reason and the documentation on either of them is next to nothing. Personally for cheap longer lasting leds I'd go with elation... they at least attempt to help their end users.

Sent from my ADR6300

Aren't Elation and American DJ the same company?

No American dj is owned by the same company as irradiant iirc

Sent from my ADR6300

No, American DJ and Elation are the same parent company as far as I know, but they sell under two different names for market separation. Elation is the high-end stuff, American DJ is the low-end stuff. I'm glad they have two names and companies, because even if American DJ made good high-end stuff, who would buy it for a professional application?

It's a bit more interesting if a company does not use separate names for different markets. Take JBL for example: they sell both VerTec and JRX, and it's really difficult to convince some people that JRX are not the best speakers ever, just because JBL makes the stuff 'all the big shows use.'

No, American DJ and Elation are the same parent company as far as I know, but they sell under two different names for market separation.

ADJ and Elation have the same corporate address; I think it safe to assume that they are the same company. Other brands under the same umbrella appear to include
ADJ
Elation
Acclaim
Alkalite
Antari
Elation Architectural
Global Truss
American Audio
Arriba Cases
Duratruss
Accu-case
Accu-cable