Compact Power Subs for Stick mains

Re: Compact Power Subs for Stick mains

The point is that "Peak SPL" as it is treated in the professional loudspeaker industry, is peak pressure, not "highest reading of an SPL meter" (SPL meters only measure RMS; even if there is a peak hold function, it is the "highest rms reading observed", and that includes the selected averaging time). Anyway, peak pressure is calculated using the peak voltage of the amplifier. With non-powered systems, the assumption is that a user will supply an amplifier with twice the power rating of the loudspeaker, and that the peak voltage of the amplifier is 3 dB higher than that, because amplifiers are rated with sine waves. Hence, the peak pressure should be 6 dB higher than the maximum continuous SPL.

Keep in mind that maximum continuous SPL is a survival rating, not a useability rating. Of course what would be more useful is "maximum useable SPL", but that would be signal dependent and would have to be subjectively determined. So we're stuck with a calculated value that serves only as a point of comparison: "This one's red line is 2 dB higher than this one's red line."

As for the TS215ac, here is the math (with one more significant figure than the whole numbers on the spec sheet):
Equalized Sensitivity: 99.2 dB
Maximum Peak Voltage of the Amplifiers: 150 V
"Peak Power" into 2 ohms (actually two channels driving 4 ohms each): 11,250 W
Peak Power, expressed in decibels: 40.5 dB
99.2 dB + 40.5 dB = 139.7 dB, which rounds to 140 dB

Dave

Excellent explanation!

Michael

Re: Compact Power Subs for Stick mains

I don't know how the other subs will stack up against the 718's but I do know that the VRX is just about the same sub. No new news there duh....lol what I was thinking is that you can use the castors off the 718's and the covers too. Might save you about 500 bucks when you total out parts for 4 subs. Just a thought.