Compression Driver Selection - Yamaha Stagepas 400i

Stephen Rivett

Sep 14, 2021
Canada
Hi All,
I am just dipping my feet into Pro Audio as I bought a Yamaha Stagepas 400i from a pawn shop with one blown compression driver. Apparently this is a common problem with these speakers. The OEM speaker is a Celestion CDX1-1070 which is rated at 8 ohms and 12 watts. https://qcomponents.ca/celestion-cdx1-1070-8-ohm-12w-pro-audio-compression-driver-t5916.html
Celestion has a couple pro audio replacement options with the same bolt pattern/size that are higher wattage. Is there anything I should watch out for when "upgrading"? I'd like to avoid picking something that doesn't sound correct or ???
Cheers, Steve

I'm not sure it's worth messing with since the drivers are disposable at $30 each but it would be a problem if these speakers were being used in a business venture. I just noticed the crossover frequency is a bit higher with the options I had been looking at so I continue to research the topic. At the very least I'll learn something that I'll probably forget. :D

It's quite common for active PA boxes to have EQ settings baked into their processing to match the stock drivers so unless you also find a replacement with a similar response, it's best to stick with the original part.

Yamaha has a pretty good rep for being able to supply parts for their products . If possible , I would just replace the blown speaker with an OEM speaker from Yamaha . Then you will have a matched system and no issues with any imbalances in speaker performance . If that isn't possible or is cost prohibitive then Celestion offers a large array of speakers and is good at publishing specs so matching size , frequency response and output ( important ) should be a breeze .