Concert Tech on Trains

Re: Concert Tech on Trains

Well then, why not one of the high-power business Wifi devices with a huge external antenna mounted on top of the car?

A few years on, that is what finally worked. I tried various versions of UHF and FM, but ran into crippling interference somewhere along the route. San Francisco in particular always creamed my transmitter. This time I ran flat ethernet down the hall and under the door, up to an Engenius 5 GHz access point cable tied to something on top of the car. Line of sight to the dome. AirFoil to AirPlay ate all of my network bandwidth, but Audreio AU to Audreio iOS did the job. Mixer is now a Behringer XR18 on stage, with a Macbook next to it running Reaper to multitrack, and to host Audreio. Another Macbook at the mix position runs one of the 3 flavors of X Edit that I'm using, and hosts a MIDi Fighter Twister controller. I also found an accessible vent in the floor, so next time I can run the ethernet under the car, and finally clean up the hallway.

That's John Doe, Rick Shea, Dave Alvin, and David Olney onstage. Route was LA to San Antonio to Chicago to Denver to San Franciso to LA in 10 days. 30 some sets by a dozen musicians.

2015-04-24 15.14.29 small.jpeg