Congas... What your favorite mic?

old joke swerve

H.M. Stanley comes upon Dr. Herny Livingstone in the heart of Africa, and uttered the famous "Dr. Livingstone, I presume". What most people don't remember is the rest of the converstation which was held to a background of tribal drums:

Dr. Livingstone: Uh oh the drums just stopped.

Stanley: What does that mean?

Dr. Livingstone: Bass solo.

And I would grab a Pro37.

Re: Congos... What your favorite mic?

Congo?

map_of_democratic-republic-of-congo.jpg

Or Conga?

CONGAS_ORIGINAL_CONGA_DRUMS_LP.jpg

EV 308. After that, SM57. If the gods are smiling, maybe a 421.

Look up "Giovanni Hidalgo" on youtube - you'll get the idea.

HA. I'm glad that someone had the indecency to go there!

As stated just about any quality mic will do. As for the reversal of the polarity for a bottom mic, it might not be necessary unless you are using the exact same model microphone for the top and bottom. Try it both ways... especially if are using a 57 for top and bottom. I've found a few shure mics that were wired wrong and still made it off the production line. Otherwise the mic would have to have the exact same phase response to cause the signals to cancel. Sometimes a little cancellation can be a blessing in the eq department.

Otherwise the mic would have to have the exact same phase response to cause the signals to cancel.

That would only be true if the mics elements occupied the exact same place in space. When they are 3' apart you will always need to check polarity.

That would only be true if the mics elements occupied the exact same place in space. When they are 3' apart you will always need to check polarity.

Maybe this should be another thread, but I have heard that 3' foot rule before by a studio guy, only he quoted and mics that are more than 3' need not be concerned with phase. I've never really understood the logic behind either of those statements. If anyone can explain this, it would be great. The phase response of a mic changes (in reference to it's counter-part) as you move it away based on the arrival time, yes? It's a the distance that causes the actual phase shift, the response would be same. If the phase response of a capsule was absolutely linear (0 degrees from 20 to 20) I can see how that statement might work.

Anyone explain the logic behind this "rule"? I'm wildly curious.

Maybe this should be another thread, but I have heard that 3' foot rule before by a studio guy, only he quoted and mics that are more than 3' need not be concerned with phase. I've never really understood the logic behind either of those statements. If anyone can explain this, it would be great. The phase response of a mic changes (in reference to it's counter-part) as you move it away based on the arrival time, yes? It's a the distance that causes the actual phase shift, the response would be same. If the phase response of a capsule was absolutely linear (0 degrees from 20 to 20) I can see how that statement might work.

Anyone explain the logic behind this "rule"? I'm wildly curious.

As I have always understood the three to one rule it is based on spl not phase. In other words if you are 1 foot from the source, mics three feet from the same source should be down enough in level that signal addition problems don't occur.