Connect wireless mic directly?

Brad Borch

Aug 18, 2023
USA
So I'm a musician and I'm making a "snake" for performing. I'm running a guitar cable, mic cable, and a return for earphones, all wired up running through CAT6 cable with a small breakout box on each end. The photo shows the wearable end with switches to mute the guitar and mic. It's going into a small battery powered amp.

The guitar works fine, the phones work fine, but I'm having problems with the mic. It's a headset mic meant for use with a Shure wireless setup. I've been messing around with the phantom power coming from the amp, as well as AA and 9v batteries to try and give it what it needs, but I'm not having much success. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a preamp for this mic? The amp works fine with a dynamic mic.

This is the mic: https://www.amazon.com/Av-jefes-Avl-630-sh4-Earhook-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B002MV845S/

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Interesting project.

It might help to know what the amp is so people can check its spec's etc.

I assume you've double checked that the amp's mic input is supplying the bias voltage on the right pins for the mic, per Shure's pinout diagram (Link) already.

That apart, the only thing I see about the mic that's maybe a little unusual is the higher output impedance - if the amp is only designed to work with dynamic mics, it's input impedance could be a bit low. If that were the case, then a transformer or separate mic pre might be needed.

FWIW,
David.

Interesting project.

It might help to know what the amp is so people can check its spec's etc.

I assume you've double checked that the amp's mic input is supplying the bias voltage on the right pins for the mic, per Shure's pinout diagram (Link) already.

That apart, the only thing I see about the mic that's maybe a little unusual is the higher output impedance - if the amp is only designed to work with dynamic mics, it's input impedance could be a bit low. If that were the case, then a transformer or separate mic pre might be needed.

FWIW,
David.
Thanks for the input. I hadn't found that page but had found others and was trying to replicate the connectors. The amp puts out 44v across pins 1 (ground) and 2 (audio) of the XLR input. It's one of those XLR and 1/4" inputs. That channel also has another 1/4" input. The second channel has 2 1/4" inputs for guitar. I was assuming the mic channel was low Z and the instrument channel was hi-z. I can't get the mic to work with either, and I've tried an external 4.5v AA battery pack.

Here's the amp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HZLVCN8/

Just wired it the way the link you gave said. Used a 3-AAA battery pack. Thanks for the link!

Attachments

• IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6