Considering EAW LA215s over JBL SRX728 as concert PA

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco, CA
In the past I have been discouraged from using EAW and JBL SRX boxes together, but sometimes budgetary constraints force me to get creative, and I'm looking at some LA215s on CL that seem to be in good shape.

Are there any issues I may be overlooking with these EAW boxes? I know they're typically used in nightclubs, but they appeal to me for the following reasons:
1. I already have two and have been very impressed with their sound
2. With handles, tripod mount cup, and an ability to convert to a floor monitor, they can be used in many different situations
3. They look good (important since I do corporate stuff sometimes)

What are the cons I should consider, other than the weight?

Re: Considering EAW LA215s over JBL SRX728 as concert PA

It's been about 5 years since I've used them, but I do remember that they sound pretty good. The main problem that I had with them is that they have a very wide 90 degree conical horn, which lends itself to being a pretty short-throw speaker.

They don't go that loud, they throw sound everywhere, and they can't be arrayed since they're so wide.

I don't see how four are going to do you any good over two, unless you're doing delays or super-wide rooms.

They also weigh a ton. There are many better, lighter speakers out these days.

What kind of deal are you looking at on a pair?

They're listed at $1500/pair, but I'm confident I can get him down to $1100 since they've been around for a while.

Not even close to worth it, even at your 'get him down' price.

Consider you can get a brand-new pair of SRX712m for not much more than his asking price, and they will wipe the floor with them.

Listen to Tim...

Yes, I've heard this before, but the point of this thread was to figure out if it was in fact the wrong product.

I suppose "wrong" depends on how you plan to deploy them. I think Silas covered that.

Not knowing the rooms you work in or the program material you are presented with it's a little hard to make assumptions... but back when I was doing "SoundCo in a Van" stuff, it occurred to me the last thing I needed was more 90° boxes. YMMV, etc.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

OK, ok, I'm not trying to be stubborn here. Will the coverage pattern of the LA215s make it appropriate to use one per side over a dual 18 on smaller gigs?

OK, ok, I'm not trying to be stubborn here. Will the coverage pattern of the LA215s make it appropriate to use one per side over a dual 18 on smaller gigs?

The coverage pattern of one speaker per side has nothing to do with the subwoofers and everything to do with the venue and speaker placement. There is no 'one pattern fits all' but there could be a 'one pattern fits most' depending on what venues you work in.

You say you already have a pair so why do you want another pair? Another way to ask this is what problems are you having that a second pair of these will help you out?
As pointed out above, for the money they are asking (or your lowered price), there are many newer better, lighter boxes out there.
On a small gig, I usually want to bring the smallest lightest rig I can. But that is just me. YMMV

Oh, and I have been trying to avoid the tops over subs pairing due to all the low freq comb filtering that goes on.

Last edited:

Rob:

The newer, lighter, better boxes you and everyone else are talking about are ev qrx, jbl srx, etc., right? I've never seen anything in those lines for $1500/pair, used or new. Usually it's at least $1000 per box.

Also, in the tops/subs pairing are you talking about comb filtering between the top-box low-end and the subwoofer? Are you flying your tops instead? I can't afford to do that yet.

Rob:

The newer, lighter, better boxes you and everyone else are talking about are ev qrx, jbl srx, etc., right? I've never seen anything in those lines for $1500/pair, used or new. Usually it's at least $1000 per box.

Also, in the tops/subs pairing are you talking about comb filtering between the top-box low-end and the subwoofer? Are you flying your tops instead? I can't afford to do that yet.
You are right in that even used, the QRX212 goes for about $800-900 per box. But, they have a 75 degree horn which I find more useful than a 90 degree box in most rooms. It keeps the sound more off the walls and with the built in horn tilt of 10 degrees down, points it at the waterbags too. They also can be flown (though I have not done that) and are only 86lbs.

I am talking about power alley or comb filtering of the subs. You need them a long way apart to minimize it (think 40' or more) so I either center cluster when I can or I stack a pair at one side of the stage.