Controller

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
OK,I bought 4 Elation sixpar 100tm's. Very happy with their output and color. In addition,I am using PAR 38's with LED spot lamps for white lighting only.I am very happy with them too. 2 questions.I have an older controller,maybe 20 years old.Can that be used to control the new lights? Also,with my old controller or a new controller,can I use it for both the elations and the the PAR's . The new Elations of course can run the XLR right into the fixture.For the PAR's,I would need power packs which I have,Can one controller do both?

Re: Controller

What's the make and model of the controller? Most likely you'll need something new with DMX output. There's quite a bit out there and software is becoming more popular. Personally I use the micro usb dongle from dmxking with qlc+ running on an old laptop.

The make is American DJ Stage setter 8.It is a DMX controller. So will this work with the new Elation fixtures and with the PAR38's with the LED lamps using my power packs? Or,can't I do both?

You will need a dimmer pack for the Par38s. Each par38 will take one channel on the DMX controller, if you want control of each light. The Sixpars will need at least 6 channels per fixture if you want full control. You could always cheat and assign them all the same address, but you lose some control. The stage setter can only do 16 channels, so you'll need to decide if combing the control will work for you or not.

Page 18 of the manual shows the channel assignments. The fixture can actually run with more channels giving you control of additional features. The manual is a actually pretty good, so take a closer look at that.