Couple of questions guys

Richard Stringer

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire, UK
Hi ya guys, i've got a couple of questions. Right firstly, i'm thinking of either using two bridged QSC RMX1450 amps bridged into 4 ohms mono (because used they're available for extremely cheap prices) or a single QSC MX3000A in stereo (which is about the same price as the two RMX1450) to power a pair of Peavey SP4 mid/highs (4 ohms, 1,000 watts continuous), but I was wondering would there be much, if any difference in power to the Peavey cabs out of these two options? I know supposedly the RMX1450 in bridged mode can output 1,450 watts average power into a 4 ohm load, and the MX3000A can output 1,200 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load. I know the MX3000A are great amps to power subs, but do they have the same sound quality running mid/highs as the RMX amps? When I say sound quality, I mean sound not really quality, I know they're both great sound quality. I've got two QSC EX2500 bridged running my two JBL SRX728S subs, and i've tried one of them running my MRX515 speaker cab which I use for a dj monitor and the EX2500 didn't quite sound as clear in the midrange as my old Yamaha P7000S. I've already got one RMX1450 (that I originally intended on bridging to power my MRX515 dj monitor) and decided to test it out today, bridged into one of my Peavey SP4 cabs and it made my Peavey SP4 cab sound great, I was pretty impressed with the midrange sound of it. So I thought i'd ask you guys which you personally would think has better sound for mid/highs taking into account that's what i'll be powering.

That's my first question, and secondly.....what would a better option for spl output for a dj monitor between either a 1 RCF Art312A or 1 JBL MRX515 powered by one side of a QSC RMX2450? I've got 1 MRX515 cab at the moment but was thinking if the Art312A cab is capable of outputting the same spl as the MRX515 that it'd be easier to go with an RCF Art312A cab instead because it means I don't have to lump around an amp for the dj monitor.

Re: Couple of questions guys

So I thought i'd ask you guys which you personally would think has better sound for mid/highs taking into account that's what i'll be powering.

First, if you can hear the difference between any of these amplifiers when they are working properly, kudos to you. Second, if you are paying as much for a used MX3000A as two RMX1450s you are getting ripped off. The MX3000A was a tank, but they are ancient by today's standards and my MX1500As did not age well, let me tell you.

That's my first question, and secondly.....what would a better option for spl output for a dj monitor between either a 1 RCF Art312A or 1 JBL MRX515 powered by one side of a QSC RMX2450? I've got 1 MRX515 cab at the moment but was thinking if the Art312A cab is capable of outputting the same spl as the MRX515 that it'd be easier to go with an RCF Art312A cab instead because it means I don't have to lump around an amp for the dj monitor.

If I were buying the stuff new, I'd go for the RCF. Since you own the JBL cabinet already, I would just try it and see if you can make it work. I've never listened to these side by side, but I would expect the RCF to far exceed the MRX in sound quality.

Re: Couple of questions guys

Hey ya, thanks for the reply. Well I know that when I tried out one of my JBL MPA750 (EX2500) amps in stereo with my JBL MRX515 cab it had muddier midrange than the frankly excellent sounding Yamaha P7000S I used to have powering my MRX515 cab, so that's what got me wondering if the MX3000A was going to be right to power my Peavey mid/highs as from what I know, the MX and EX series were very much alike in terms of sound quality and power output. I do however remember years ago when I had old Peavey Hi-Sys 4XT cabs running in stereo on a QSC RMX2450 it sounded great, no muddiness and was damn loud. I'm starting to wonder if two bridged QSC RMX2450 might perform better for my two SRX728S subs than my current MPA750 amps, but that's something i'll try out later and see which performs better. With the RMX1450, I meant the MX3000A that's available is about the price of two USED RMX1450 amps, not new ones.

Anyway, regarding the MRX515 vs the RCF Art312A, it's not really sound quality i'm concerned about because I know both cabs are pretty damn nice sound quality for their price, I was mainly wondering which would give me greater spl output, if actually anyone could tell the difference in spl between the two.