Crest Pro Lite 7.5

Re: Crest Pro Lite 7.5

Hi Folks ,

A couple more notes on the Pro Lite 7.5:

This amp is front-to-back deep, so you can't leave connections plugged in when using standard depth SKB cases.

As noted elsewhere, this is sort-of an upgraded Peavey IPR series amp, though turned upside down.
So I have the Crest in a rack with a Peavey IPR3000, and the power switches, level controls are on the opposite side, and around back, power and inputs/outputs are flip-flopped.
Occasionally cabling would be easier with everything lined up.
Not really a big deal, but I really don't see the sense in differentiating these products in this manner.

The input XLRs are upside down. Not a big deal, since there is no release tab, but, but, really???

I still haven't had a chance to really push them.
Last summer I tried pushing a pair of Tom Danley's original td-1s hard with the amp but my ears were hurting before I could get the amp even warm.
At last night's show the 7.5 was pushing a pair of SM80s at an acapella show and far from breaking a sweat.

If I tap on the case something rattles, but I have never heard this when in use.

For fairly high output, lower weight and modest cost, for me it is a keeper.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hi Folks ,

A couple more notes on the Pro Lite 7.5:

This amp is front-to-back deep, so you can't leave connections plugged in when using standard depth SKB cases.

As noted elsewhere, this is sort-of an upgraded Peavey IPR series amp, though turned upside down.
So I have the Crest in a rack with a Peavey IPR3000, and the power switches, level controls are on the opposite side, and around back, power and inputs/outputs are flip-flopped.
Occasionally cabling would be easier with everything lined up.
Not really a big deal, but I really don't see the sense in differentiating these products in this manner.

The input XLRs are upside down. Not a big deal, since there is no release tab, but, but, really???

I still haven't had a chance to really push them.
Last summer I tried pushing a pair of Tom Danley's original td-1s hard with the amp but my ears were hurting before I could get the amp even warm.
At last night's show the 7.5 was pushing a pair of SM80s at an acapella show and far from breaking a sweat.

If I tap on the case something rattles, but I have never heard this when in use.

For fairly high output, lower weight and modest cost, for me it is a keeper.

Standard SKB racks will not work for lots of amplifiers, so no surprise there.
You won't ever get the amp hot to the touch. It is not a traditional amp, with a toroidial power supply, big caps, etc.
IIRC, they are not upside down for differentiation, but for dust/dirt reasons, just like QSC builds their amps upside down.
Few equipment manufacturers put locking connectors on their gear anymore. The cables are free to pull out if someone trips, etc.

Hi Brent,

To clarify, the front/rear is upside down on the IPR series relative to the Pro Lite series, or it is the other way around.
I would like to hear a technical reason for these two similar amps to be reversed like this.

I prefer latching XLRs but am fine with non-latching.
For patching/un-patching I prefer XLRs in the standard 'latch-up' orientation; again, not a big deal.

Hi Brent,

To clarify, the front/rear is upside down on the IPR series relative to the Pro Lite series, or it is the other way around.
I would like to hear a technical reason for these two similar amps to be reversed like this.

For patching/un-patching I prefer XLRs in the standard 'latch-up' orientation; again, not a big deal.

I imagine that the use of non latching XLRs is due to cost. On a "cost effective amp" every couple of pennies count

Hi Brent,

More of a business than technical explanation. Crest is owned by Peavey so there are good business reasons to use the same technology in both brands to maximize return from the R&D investment and enjoy manufacturing economies of scale from both brands using common production. From a marketing perspective the Crest customers do not want to be obviously buying a re-branded Peavey amplifier so it needs to be differentiated some how.

Flipping the board upside down pretty elegantly changes front and back panel layouts, and even gives an added feature "story" to sell... Dust, or spilled liquids will not sit on the upside down PCB.

I prefer latching XLRs for signals that ruin the show if a cable gets loose. For fixed install latching connectors (or screw terminals) are standard. Try to lace up a wiring loom inside a rack with non-locking connectors. Just look at at cross-eyed and the connectors pull part way out. (not good).

The lock on an XLR connector is more expensive but probably pennies, not a deal breaker.

For amps that get set up and torn down every time they are used a locking jack could be a pain. YMMV.

JR

I would like to take a pro-lite 7.5 from US to Uganda, where they have 230V. Apart from the jumper, what about the power plug? I'm just doing the carrying and don't know much.

Thanks

Hi We Cec,

I believe the 7.5 is rated for 60Hz AC power, not the 50Hz in Uganda, and suggest you check with Crest about running it on 50Hz.

The power inlet on the amp is a standard 20 amp IEC, and am guessing a plug could be fairly easily wired in country.

I would like to take a pro-lite 7.5 from US to Uganda, where they have 230V. Apart from the jumper, what about the power plug? I'm just doing the carrying and don't know much.

Thanks