Crest Audio Service
412 Hwy 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301
phone: 866-812-7378
fax: 601-486-1361
e-mail: [email protected]

Or, look here for more information:
Crest Audio

Unfortunatlly crest couldn't even help our local tech fix my 9200 that went down. I channel was only putting out 450 watts, crest said we have no idea and gave him what they call a hail Mary test as a final go at it. I ended up selling the amp as is, in need of repair. I talked our local tech to work on these, I saw him today, said this is a common problem with the amps, and is probably the same issue I had with the first 8200 that went down a while back, power supply issue.
I bought these new crest, ( Peavy)200 series amps in good faith of what crest was, I never had a issue with any of my ca or vs series amps, 15 to 20 years of abuse, nor did any of my friends. I'm the only one left around here with the 200 series amps that I know, everyone is selling them. They sound great, but have the reliability of a hairdrier running under water. Its actually a sad thing. I have 9 8200's and 2 9200's, I never go to a show with out a spare of each. I need 7 8200's and one 9200 to do a show.

Re: Crest repair center needed

I would highly encourage you to send it back to the factory's own repair center, when offered (such as in this case), instead of taking it to someone else who is an "authorized repair center".

I've used a lot of these amplifiers for different purposes over the years and not had a problem with them (granted, less so now than I did a few years ago). I'm not sure why you are experiencing issues.

Unfortunatlly crest couldn't even help our local tech fix my 9200 that went down. I channel was only putting out 450 watts, crest said we have no idea and gave him what they call a hail Mary test as a final go at it. I ended up selling the amp as is, in need of repair. I talked our local tech to work on these, I saw him today, said this is a common problem with the amps, and is probably the same issue I had with the first 8200 that went down a while back, power supply issue.
I bought these new crest, ( Peavy)200 series amps in good faith of what crest was, I never had a issue with any of my ca or vs series amps, 15 to 20 years of abuse, nor did any of my friends. I'm the only one left around here with the 200 series amps that I know, everyone is selling them. They sound great, but have the reliability of a hairdrier running under water. Its actually a sad thing. I have 9 8200's and 2 9200's, I never go to a show with out a spare of each. I need 7 8200's and one 9200 to do a show.

Bummer... Why exactly do you think the local tech's inability to fix them reflects poorly on Crest (PeavEy)?

I am pretty confident Peavey/Crest service can fix them.. Surely there are talented repair techs in NE. I used to live up there and there is nothing inherently wrong with the locals (worth mentioning)..

JR

try this guy BUFFALO PRO SOUND. 2177 BROADWAY. Buffalo, NY 14212 map. Phone: 716-882-0685. MICHAEL TORTORICI

Bummer... Why exactly do you think the local tech's inability to fix them reflects poorly on Crest (PeavEy)?

JR

Because I read what peavy / crest test procedure is at that point when a amp is doing what mine was doing. The hail mary test, something peavy / crest reccomended. Pretty funny and not so professionally put. From what I have gathered, most crest guys are gone, its peavys show now.

If you know enough to second guess the brands own techs without even giving them a chance, fix them yourself.

Otherwise this just sounds like yet another case of you badmouthing a company because yet another piece of YOUR equipment is broken.

If you know enough to second guess the brands own techs without even giving them a chance, fix them yourself.

Otherwise this just sounds like yet another case of you badmouthing a company because yet another piece of YOUR equipment is broken.

Here we go, really Jay. You are really not getting it. You think I'm making this up? I'd like to know how many, CREST techs there are at PEAVY right now.

Why do you think a peavey tech would be unable to make the repair?

Or are you just combining a pre existing bias with some internet hearsay to arrive at your position?

It seems to me we have gone through this same thing with you with at least one set a speakers, one set of drivers, one set of passive crossovers and now amps.

As a matter of fact I can't think of anyone who frequents the boards who reports more broken equipment than you. And you position is always the manufacturer should have done something different.

None of my amps, including peavey, are broken so I really don't care how many bench techs wearing a crest hat actually started with peavey nor do I believe it would matter in getting service.

Why do you think a peavey tech would be unable to make the repair?

Or are you just combining a pre existing bias with some internet hearsay to arrive at your position?

It seems to me we have gone through this same thing with you with at least one set a speakers, one set of drivers, one set of passive crossovers and now amps.

As a matter of fact I can't think of anyone who frequents the boards who reports more broken equipment than you. And you position is always the manufacturer should have done something different.

None of my amps, including peavey, are broken so I really don't care how many bench techs wearing a crest hat actually started with peavey nor do I believe it would matter in getting service.

So I guess if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all, lol Goodnight all, I got a lot of help through people pm'ing me, with the same issues as me.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Here we go, really Jay. You are really not getting it. You think I'm making this up? I'd like to know how many, CREST techs there are at PEAVY right now.

I will resist pointing out who IMO doesn't get it.

The last time I spoke with him, a few year ago, the engineer who designed the original crest version of those amps was still working at Peavey (spelled "Peavey"). He actually left Crest and was working at Peavey well before Peavey bought crest.

What exactly do you think the difference is between a Peavey and a Crest service tech, or design engineer? I have known and worked with both so I actually have an informed opinion (which I won't share here).

I am not familiar with a "Hail Mary" amp test and I have designed power amps. I do recognize a football strategy call "hail mary pass" where it suggests a long-shot low probability outcome (apparently a prayer is needed to improve chances of success).

Perhaps they were suggests a dead short on the output test, which any well designed amplifier in good operating condition should pass, and perhaps a faulty amp would release it's smoke and fail completely, so you'd have to get it fixed properly.

Good luck with your amps. Crest/Peavey will help you make them right if you give them a chance.

JR

I will resist pointing out who IMO doesn't get it.

The last time I spoke with him, a few year ago, the engineer who designed the original crest version of those amps was still working at Peavey (spelled "Peavey"). He actually left Crest and was working at Peavey well before Peavey bought crest.

What exactly do you think the difference is between a Peavey and a Crest service tech, or design engineer? I have known and worked with both so I actually have an informed opinion (which I won't share here).

I am not familiar with a "Hail Mary" amp test and I have designed power amps. I do recognize a football strategy call "hail mary pass" where it suggests a long-shot low probability outcome (apparently a prayer is needed to improve chances of success).

Perhaps they were suggests a dead short on the output test, which any well designed amplifier in good operating condition should pass, and perhaps a faulty amp would release it's smoke and fail completely, so you'd have to get it fixed properly.

Good luck with your amps. Crest/Peavey will help you make them right if you give them a chance.

JR

You know what is really funny? I was going to say something very, very similar.

Whilst I've not designed any amplifiers myself, I do work at Peavey. Right down the hall is engineering. The guy who designs all of the Peavey and Crest Audio amplifiers is the very same guy who designed the Crest Audio 9001, this is the same guy JR was talking about. He is a pretty smart fellow. Certainly, the guys that work in the repair center are a bunch of top notch dudes. I recently took in my Crest Audio 10004 to have it repaired, it suffered some absurdly high voltage on the input due to a loose/corroded neutral up on the power transformer. They fixed it right up and it is good as new.

Certainly, if you don't think the guy you have been taking your stuff to is capable of fixing these amplifiers, I'd suggest at least giving the factory service center the opportunity to fix it or at least make it right with you. I'm sure there are guys out there who are capable of fixing them in their service centers, but I know a lot of guys who claim to be "repair technicians" who are anything but. The good ones can be tough to find, but they do a great job. At least if you have the factory's repair center fix it and they can't do it, then you would have a legitimate beef with the company. Otherwise, I'm going to chalk your bad attitude up to not liking Peavey.

You know what is really funny? I was going to say something very, very similar.

Whilst I've not designed any amplifiers myself, I do work at Peavey. Right down the hall is engineering. The guy who designs all of the Peavey and Crest Audio amplifiers is the very same guy who designed the Crest Audio 9001, this is the same guy JR was talking about. He is a pretty smart fellow. Certainly, the guys that work in the repair center are a bunch of top notch dudes. I recently took in my Crest Audio 10004 to have it repaired, it suffered some absurdly high voltage on the input due to a loose/corroded neutral up on the power transformer. They fixed it right up and it is good as new.

Certainly, if you don't think the guy you have been taking your stuff to is capable of fixing these amplifiers, I'd suggest at least giving the factory service center the opportunity to fix it or at least make it right with you. I'm sure there are guys out there who are capable of fixing them in their service centers, but I know a lot of guys who claim to be "repair technicians" who are anything but. The good ones can be tough to find, but they do a great job. At least if you have the factory's repair center fix it and they can't do it, then you would have a legitimate beef with the company. Otherwise, I'm going to chalk your bad attitude up to not liking Peavey.

Josh,
when the 9200 went down the authorized repair center called the crest techs, they told him everything to check, step by step, it all checked out, they then emailed him the hail Mary test, I read it, my tech read it, we both said no, because if it failed the test, there was a lot of smoked parts, and it became to costly to fix.
Why don't you post the hail mary test here for everyone to see, and then let others decide if they would try it.
Do I have a bad attitude towards peavy, yes, when crest was crest, 1 out of a 100 amps failed, now I'm 4 out of ten in a few short years. I'm talking about reliability here, I love the way the amps sound, they are as good sounding as any other crest made, I and many others around here can't trust them for reliability. I know of other sound companies selling these amps off. About every 200 series amp that I know of around here have failed on sub duty, make you wonder maybe. I have a buddy with 4 9200's right now, 2 signal lights don't work, one active light does not work, 2 of the amps blew up and the whole board was replaced under warenty.
Look at eaw, Loud tech has taking over, it takes weeks to get service, no one returns phone calls, my parts that were suppose to be in sept 1st are now do in dec 1st.
When I was looking for a new desk I was looking at a midas verona, most everyone told me to stay away, who took over midas, peolpe said that company is now living on the name only. Who owns dbx now? I know some people that bought some dbx eq's, 1 failed in a month, the little white inserts are falling out of the thumb nobs.
Tell me this, who went over to apb dynasonics and works on designing thier desks? If all the above companies listed acted, treated and built a quality item, with outstanding customer service like apb they would be way better off!
I have 20 year old dbx, drawmer, aphex, ashley, bss, they are like the energizer bunny rabbit, they keep going and going.
If I could still lift Crown 5k's and crest ca 18's I'd be using them, great reliability.
Theres been some people pm'ing me and contacting me outside of this site, and they are having the same issues with the 200 series, but like many, if you don't have anything good to say about a product don't say anything at all, at least thats how I see it.

Post the Hail Mary test, when I get my amps repaired I will let everyone know what failed,

Sorry to anyone I offended, I'm just telling the truth.

Josh,
when the 9200 went down the authorized repair center called the crest techs, they told him everything to check, step by step, it all checked out, they then emailed him the hail Mary test, I read it, my tech read it, we both said no, because if it failed the test, there was a lot of smoked parts, and it became to costly to fix.
Why don't you post the hail mary test here for everyone to see, and then let others decide if they would try it.
Do I have a bad attitude towards peavy, yes, when crest was crest, 1 out of a 100 amps failed, now I'm 4 out of ten in a few short years. I'm talking about reliability here, I love the way the amps sound, they are as good sounding as any other crest made, I and many others around here can't trust them for reliability. I know of other sound companies selling these amps off. About every 200 series amp that I know of around here have failed on sub duty, make you wonder maybe. I have a buddy with 4 9200's right now, 2 signal lights don't work, one active light does not work, 2 of the amps blew up and the whole board was replaced under warenty.
Look at eaw, Loud tech has taking over, it takes weeks to get service, no one returns phone calls, my parts that were suppose to be in sept 1st are now do in dec 1st.
When I was looking for a new desk I was looking at a midas verona, most everyone told me to stay away, who took over midas, peolpe said that company is now living on the name only. Who owns dbx now? I know some people that bought some dbx eq's, 1 failed in a month, the little white inserts are falling out of the thumb nobs.
Tell me this, who went over to apb dynasonics and works on designing thier desks? If all the above companies listed acted, treated and built a quality item, with outstanding customer service like apb they would be way better off!
I have 20 year old dbx, drawmer, aphex, ashley, bss, they are like the energizer bunny rabbit, they keep going and going.
If I could still lift Crown 5k's and crest ca 18's I'd be using them, great reliability.
Theres been some people pm'ing me and contacting me outside of this site, and they are having the same issues with the 200 series, but like many, if you don't have anything good to say about a product don't say anything at all, at least thats how I see it.

Post the Hail Mary test, when I get my amps repaired I will let everyone know what failed,

Sorry to anyone I offended, I'm just telling the truth.

I have no idea what this supposed "Hail Mary Test" is... I've never heard of it. How about you send it to me and tell me exactly who your repair guy got it from and we shall see. Personally, if someone suggested doing a potentially damaging test, I'd ask them if they were going to fix it if it failed. Certainly, if it did fail, you can point to it and say "Now it really doesn't work."

I would like to hear from all these people who have been PM'ing you. You know the manufacturer can't do anything about issues that they don't know about. Like I said before, I've used a lot of these amplifiers in a lot of projects and I've not seen the issues you and all your friends are describing. Do things break? Sure... that is why repair centers exist. But, if there is a systemic problem, we need to know about it. What, exactly, has been going wrong and how were the products being used when they broke? Simply saying "I was driving my subs and the amp crapped out." Is not adequate.

There are a lot of people who have 20+ year old Peavey and Crest Audio equipment that just refuses to die, also. If your point is that new equipment is not built sturdy enough these days, I can see some validity in that statement. However, everyone who buys pro audio equipment has brought this on themselves by always buying the cheaper products. If no one (or at least not enough people) are going to buy high quality products (that come with a WELL above average price), where is the incentive for anyone to manufacture high quality products? I guess they could do it as a labor of love if they didn't need to make any money... but how realistic is that?

So, in short, all you people who are having problems with your Crest Audio Pro 200 series amplifiers, send me the detailed information in PM's. Please feel free to include why you don't feel like you can trust these products. I would certainly like to know if there is a real problem here, or if this is something else.

Josh,

I'll see if my tech will give me a copy of the say a hail mary before throwing power to it.
All I can say is, all my amps went down on sub duty, along with other people I know, some of which don't belong to this site. Amps running mids and highs, never a issue.
I know my tech said his biggest complaint of the 200 series amp is everything is on one board, so if you burn something up and burn the tracers, you have to buy a whole new board, I think around $1000 for a 9200. He showed me the 200 series compared to a i tech, which has many different moduals, so I can see some grief if you do smoke the board on a crest??

Here'001.jpgs what failed in the 1st 8200 a year or so ago, there were a few tiny resistors also, as I remember these came out of the power supply, or some circuitry that sences faults in the power supply?

Reality is it doesn't matter how many parts an amp has, if it goes down it still needs to be fixed. What needs to be figured out is DO YOU just have bad luck? or are YOU doing something wrong? Did you tap into some dirty power? I would call peavey/crest myself and ask them / send them the amps. If this doesnt solve the issue, I would get a brand that you feel you can trust and ditch the head ache. I personally do not trust these light weight amps yet, I think its a young technology that has some reliability issues that need to be worked out. I love my peavey and crest HEAVY as hell amps. They do exactly what I want out of them.

I am assuming the Hail Mary test is to blow the amp, Right now you dont have a direct answer as to what is going wrong (or didnt at the time) That most certainly would "let the cat out of the bag"