Cue Console - LCS ? Anyone with links ?

I've just seen Cirque du Soleil's production Ovo. I had to do a bit of gear spotting and saw that they were using a Cue Console at FOH along side a yamaha o1v/o2r or similar - this was off to the side.

What really caught my interest is that the Cue Console looks to be a pretty modern affair - I initially thought it was a VI6 for a few seconds. It had pretty large screens built in.

The only info I can find online is at Meyer for a console surface that definately does not resemble a VI6. A pic of this is attached so you know what i'm NOT looking for.

I didn't want to raise the ire of the Cirque people so I didn't take a photo of the new version.

Googling Cue Console hasn't brought up the new version - does anyone have some links to more info ? Purely for curiosity - I'm definately not in the market to buy one of these, I believe they are pretty high end.

Andrew

Attachments

• meyer_cueconsole.JPG
    meyer_cueconsole.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Re: Cue Console - LCS ? Anyone with links ?

I don't live in the LCS/D'Mitri world, and there is a possibility that there is a new Cue console out there to those who ask nicely. At some level it would make sense seeing as they had produced one piece of new controller hardware awhile back already. However I suspect you may have seen a custom design. As Bennett noted the control surface is merely a collection of modules bolted together at the customers request.

There is no reason that Cirque couldn't have had either Meyer or a 3rd party fabricator build a frame with built in monitors and anything else of desire that they then drop the modules they need into.

It's even (theoretically) possible that it was a non-meyer control surface using some sort of integration to the D'Mitri frames.

Karl P

The CueConsole is the older hardware version of the control surface, which goes back to the LCS days. Meyer bought LCS back in 2005.

CueStation is the offline/online editor software which runs on your computer and controls the LCS or D-Mitri system. You can find it freely available on the Meyer site if you dig deep enough.

Meyer has released the new version of the processing and I/O modules in 2010 called D-Mitri, which still runs the older Cue Console interfaces. D-Mitri is a bear of a system. Whatever you want to do, you can do it with D-Mitri. The CueConsole is all modular and can be configured in pretty much any way you want it. Most of the big Cirque shows in Vegas (or any that have Johnathon Deans as the sound designer) are still using the older LCS system, though a couple have upgraded to D-Mitri, and I think Mystere uses D-Mitri with a Digico console.

I just did a training session in Las Vegas on D-Mitri. A little birdie told me that Meyer is working on a new control surface, but they don't even have a prototype built yet. And that t hey may also be considering a stand alone processor/I/O in a box to accommodate lower price points. It may be two or three years before they get to that stage.

FWIW, there is a good article in month's Lighting and Sound America on Space Map.

Afaik cue console is totally modular, so it could be set up to look like another desk.

This is right. It's just a custom layout of old Cue Console modules. The screens are displaying Cue Station information. The layout of hardware and software interfaces is completely customizable.

Thanks to you all. At the risk of de-railing my own thread, do you know if the console can fire off cue's to a lighting system ? I ask because there was only one guy in the booth and there was no lighting desk. So either lights controlled elsewhere (possible, try and keep FOH small so more seats can be sold) or... I imagine the Circle show makes heavy use of cues and is possible that it sends controls to the lights - which did seem pretty basic to me. Effective to set the mood and a few different scenes but nothing like a rock show.

Andrew

Thanks to you all. At the risk of de-railing my own thread, do you know if the console can fire off cue's to a lighting system ? I ask because there was only one guy in the booth and there was no lighting desk. So either lights controlled elsewhere (possible, try and keep FOH small so more seats can be sold) or... I imagine the Circle show makes heavy use of cues and is possible that it sends controls to the lights - which did seem pretty basic to me. Effective to set the mood and a few different scenes but nothing like a rock show.

Andrew

Most likely there was another booth housing lighting, stage management, plus any other systems such as automation and video. No need for those to be out in the house when a video feed is as good or better than direct line of sight.

Hi,
I work at cirque so I can tell you what we use!!! ;) 3 Fader Pack the same as you have in the picture, the transport(center) and a Mac Pro and a mac mini running Cue Station!!! So 2 screen on the Mac Pro and one for the mac mini!FOH Kurios.jpg

Hi,
I work at cirque so I can tell you what we use!!! ;) 3 Fader Pack the same as you have in the picture, the transport(center) and a Mac Pro and a mac mini running Cue Station!!! So 2 screen on the Mac Pro and one for the mac mini!View attachment 9592

What show is that? Looks like O maybe? Or are you on one of Cirque's touring shows?