Custom Plates

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
I'm working on a job where I'm needing a about a dozen custom plates.

While I've not had a ton of experiece I've discovered I generally prefer the look of deep engraved and paint filled panels and so spec'ed them for this job.

I'm now trying to find a source and have struck out a Whirlwind, ProCo and Markertek.

This leaves me with some quetions.
1 - Am I crazy in wanting deep engraved + paint filled plates?

2 - One of the above companies said
In our experience, this (laser engraved) is longer lasting, does not fade or turn 'yellow' over time and cannot scratch off.
Does this accuratly reflect people experience?

3 - If I'm not crazy to want deep engraved plates what companies can still make them?

Thanks

Philip

Re: Custom Plates

I'm working on a job where I'm needing a about a dozen custom plates.

While I've not had a ton of experiece I've discovered I generally prefer the look of deep engraved and paint filled panels and so spec'ed them for this job.

I'm now trying to find a source and have struck out a Whirlwind, ProCo and Markertek.

This leaves me with some quetions.
1 - Am I crazy in wanting deep engraved + paint filled plates?

2 - One of the above companies said Does this accuratly reflect people experience?

3 - If I'm not crazy to want deep engraved plates what companies can still make them?

Thanks

Philip

You struck out at those places because most of what they do is silk screened or laser engraving.

There are still folks doing engraved/routered metal and paint fill:

Hallmark Engraving, Inc. - Paint Filled Routed Solid Metals

Best regards,

John

I believe that PanelCrafters, RCI Custom Products and Entertainment Metals offer engraved plates, I don't know if that is laser engraving only or engraved and filled, although they have offered the latter in the past.

I believe that PanelCrafters, RCI Custom Products and Entertainment Metals offer engraved plates, I don't know if that is laser engraving only or engraved and filled, although they have offered the latter in the past.

As a bit of an update PanelCrafter and RCI custom no longer do deep engraved and filled. I'm waiting on a quote from Entertainment metals from my local dealer.

One other company that I think does this still is Wireworks but I've not contacted them yet.

Thanks,

Philip

As a bit of an update PanelCrafter and RCI custom no longer do deep engraved and filled.

Philip

that's kind of a bummer. i used to work at RCI Sound Systems which was the production arm of RCI systems and our sister company RCI Custom did all our rack panels and the like. pretty much all the stuff was deep engraved and filled. great stuff. durable and attractive.

well, since the new RCI Custom shop [which is now no longer affiliated with RCI Systems] is about 10 miles from my house now, i'll have to go give them a good talking to over discontinuing such a great service... :)

Old thread, but frontpanelexpress.com offers engraved and filled services. I use them regularly for industrial panels - the lettering is extremely durable and resistant to chemicals. They also have online pricing if you use their CAD program (free to download).

Another vote for Entertainment Metals, and no need to have a dealer involved unless they have changed something. I dealt with them directly. Custom panels can involve a lot of emails back and forth with revisions, a third party will only make it more complicated.

ooops.... did not see how old this was:eek:~:-o~:eek:

Last edited: