D&B V series vs. Meyer Mica

Re: D&B V series vs. Meyer Mica

I think sonically I'd be fine mixing on either, properly deployed and tuned.

I've rigged the mica before. It's not overly huge, but pretty heavy and dense which could be a deal breaker, especially where weight capacity is limited. The V wins by a long shot in my book in that aspect.

V for me. I prefer the sonic signature of D&B to Meyer (I think this pretty common in the UK, with the US being the opposite. Cultural preferences?)

So Galileo/RMS (Meyer) vs Lake (what I see most often driving D&B) not a big deal?

There's also the D&B control software, if you get the interface. There is no external DSP so you just have to link up the amps. I've never used it though, but I hear it's kind of clunky which would explain why lakes are used.

That being said, in addition to my D&B gear I also own several lakes, and I really like using them as well!

Lake & d&b 100% of the time. I've never met a Meyer rig I've loved. Something in the 1.2-5k range of the Meyer stuff I always hate. Don't forget about the LF side too- Meyer subs are awful in comparison to the d&b stuff. If you're thinking complete system reality, d&b is the way to go.

Evan

Meyer subs aren't awful compared to anything. That's a bit of hyperbole. Bassnectar, Dave Matthews, Metallica, and many other bands (engineers) who can have whatever system they want would disagree.

Meyer subs aren't awful compared to anything. That's a bit of hyperbole. Bassnectar, Dave Matthews, Metallica, and many other bands (engineers) who can have whatever system they want would disagree.

The only LF demanding artist you listed was Bassnector, and I'm pretty sure they were a RAT account with SB28's and K1 last I saw.

The 700hp is one of the worst sounding subs I've ever used(but we're drifting off topic).

Evan

The only LF demanding artist you listed was Bassnector, and I'm pretty sure they were a RAT account with SB28's and K1 last I saw.

The 700hp is one of the worst sounding subs I've ever used(but we're drifting off topic).

Evan

I guess it depends on what your expectations are. If you're wanting BT218/SB28 performance, you'll not be happy. After using the 650 before, I had high hopes for the 700. I wasn't impressed. It doesn't suck but it just didn't seem like a significant sonic improvement over the 650 other than some additional output.

I guess it depends on what your expectations are. If you're wanting BT218/SB28 performance, you'll not be happy. After using the 650 before, I had high hopes for the 700. I wasn't impressed. It doesn't suck but it just didn't seem like a significant sonic improvement over the 650 other than some additional output.
Bassnectar was using the 1100-LFC. I've never had a problem with 700HPs, but haven't been looking for bone-crushing bottom.
Either of you tried the 1100-LFC?

Bassnectar is in fact using Meyer Leo, Lyon and 1100LFC's. Its a full package from VER. I am currently on one of the above mentioned tours and we are using 1100LFC subs and they are fantastic. In our large rig we fly six 700HPs directly in front of six 1100LFCs and the low end is tremendous. I have never had any issues with 700s or 1100's.

I think that now with the 1100s you may feel a bit different Evan because they kind of do what the B2s do: a narrow band, and they do it very well. When paired with Leo it is a great sounding PA that doesn't take a lot of work. Very much a different animal from Milo.

Let's say you had the option of either on a gig and you weren't paying for it. You just were coming in to mix your favourite rock band on it.
Which would you choose?

V.

Now let's say you had to fly, align and tune it. Same choice or different?

V.

They're both nice rigs, but my preference is for the sound of V. For me it also wins in the weight, rigging, and overall packaging category.

I've been touring with V all summer, and I really like the whole package. Very easy and fast to fly, very light, very easy to tune, very compact, and yeah, they sound amazing. Think little J-series, not a new, bigger Q-series.
I really do like the Meyer stuff too, but in my humble opinion, V wins. Mica is very heavy to fly, and even though I love the Mapp Online stuff, I just don't find it very practical for in the field work.
d&b have a fantastic package with their new ArrayCalc / R1 V2 stuff. The way they integrated the simulation and control packages blew me away.

Hands Down the D&B Line (even the J's). Yes they might seem a little smaller than the Mica (Which is why I bring up the J's). I think from a rigging Side the D&B is a little bit quicker. Mixing wise, that is all personal taste. I will say that if you put an AES signal into the D&B amplifiers they run cleaner than a normal analog signal. just my two cents.

Douglas Plander, Audio Engineer
Video Equipment Rentals, Orlando, FL

For a rock band, definitely d&b V series, it just sounds right.
For a symphony orchestra, opera etc. I'd probably go for Mica.
Deploying and tuning I have no idea, but it's hard to find something that rigs easier than d&b

What little i mix these days, I still mix the local symphony orchestra.

I'm at the point where I'm certain I could get what I needed very nicely from either rig. I have mixed them on a V rig and it was awesome. I've no doubt I'd be just as happy with the Meyers. I would tell whatever event producer is handling the event to get what's easiest for them logistically and financially (and just make sure there's a good system crew with it...:eek:)

Early last year, I did the orchestra on a nice EV XLC rig. It was a really good experience, as well. And I still enjoy mixing them on the company's KF760 rig, when it's available. Don't like the weight, but I don't have to deal with that part...:eek:)

I have used both systems and in my experience, the D&B was the winner. The mica at least in the setups which I have seen and used them always seemed to have beaming. I can walk along and hear each box. I could still do that with the D&B, but it was less noticeable. The other thing that is better with the D&B is the Q of the system from front to back. I seemed to change less than that of the Mica rigs. The Mica's which are great for being self powered and having RMS net was nice, but the weight is huge at about 150lbs. per box. The D&B rig is lighter and to me just easier to set up.