Daisy Chain Conference mics

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
I am putting in a bid for a conference requesting a daisy chain mic configuration for about 30 microphones. I would typically run shure MX418 DS mics to Behringer S16 with the push to talk function that works great. I looked around a bit and didnt see any daisy chain options from any of the usual suspects. Most of what I found were usb or 1/8"with quantity limits below the requested 30 inputs. Just checking in to see if there is an industry standard product in this category that I am missing. Is the advantage just reduced cable run/inputs? The push to talk setup seems to work great in my experience although there is a decent amount of cabling involved.

I am putting in a bid for a conference requesting a daisy chain mic configuration for about 30 microphones. I would typically run shure MX418 DS mics to Behringer S16 with the push to talk function that works great. I looked around a bit and didnt see any daisy chain options from any of the usual suspects. Most of what I found were usb or 1/8"with quantity limits below the requested 30 inputs. Just checking in to see if there is an industry standard product in this category that I am missing. Is the advantage just reduced cable run/inputs? The push to talk setup seems to work great in my experience although there is a decent amount of cabling involved.

What do you or they mean by "daisy chain mic configuration"?
Normally for multi mic conference system events each of the table mics just runs directly to an input on a mixer.
I've done 20 plus mics for conference panel discussion events.

They’re looking for a conference system. They are designed for configurations like this

take a look at shure microflex complete (MXC)
A central processing unit and nearly unlimited mic/speaker units daisy chained with cat5

these also eliminate a lot of reinforcement and feedback hassles as every seat has its own speaker at a low volume. Reinforcement is only needed for an audience

Ahhh good info thanks. That looks like a pretty slick setup. Maybe not for this one but will see how many requests come in to see if it might be worth the investment. The push to talk setup has worked very well thus far.

Hi Ben-

One of the local AV shops I sometimes freelance for has a Bosch conferencing/congressing system and each row of mics get's 'daisy chained' to each other, and then each row connects to a control/power box, IIRC. It's been a few years since I've had to deploy the system but I recall that it's not rocket surgery...

All the major microphone makes have such systems - Senny, Shure, Bosch/EV, probably Audio Technica and Beyer, too.

There are multiple firms that rent these systems. They're not a general use item and tend to follow association conventions that have annual meetings, governance votes, etc.

I have used wired and wireless PTT conference systems from a few manufacturers and I really like Brahler’s tone - most of the others sound very honky, almost telephone-like.