Danley TH-Mini Users ?

Re: Danley TH-Mini Users ?

This was a rather wide (24 feet plus stack wings?) permanent roofed stage at a Fairgrounds and two years ago the "zone of death" near the clustered subs was quite noticeable. They didn't have the bleachers set up that time and folks were up close where the imbalance between the subs and mains was a problem. That was one reason I decided to separate the subs - plus I wanted to see what they would do WFO. I'm told the TH-Mini's don't benefit from increased low end extension when clustered whereas the big conventional horn subs I have were designed to be in clusters of four or more - as I only have the two I always cluster them.

This was a rather wide (24 feet plus stack wings?) permanent roofed stage at a Fairgrounds and two years ago the "zone of death" near the clustered subs was quite noticeable. They didn't have the bleachers set up that time and folks were up close where the imbalance between the subs and mains was a problem. That was one reason I decided to separate the subs - plus I wanted to see what they would do WFO. I'm told the TH-Mini's don't benefit from increased low end extension when clustered whereas the big conventional horn subs I have were designed to be in clusters of four or more - as I only have the two I always cluster them.
Even normal horns don't benefit as much as people would like to think. Yes they do go lower-but only by a couple of Hz or so-if that. But what does happen when you couple normal bass horns together is that the low end ripple (due to the horn being to short to begin with) gets smoother-so it sounds as if there is more bass (due to a better impedance on the drivers)-yet they really don't go noticeably lower. And they do get louder.

The Tapped horn was designed to have a flat response down to its lower limit in a single box. So what happens when you couple them is that the overall level just gets louder.

For what it's worth, this picture shows what to me is pretty much an ideal TH-Mini deployment. Plenty of acoustic output for the mid-volume, outdoor bar setting where the electric bass (hiding behind the vocalist) needs a bit of reinforcement. The low profile allows center clustering without blocking sight lines -- no higher than an average wedge -- and even serves as a convenient "coffee table".

THMiniDeployment.jpg

--Frank

For what it's worth, this picture shows what to me is pretty much an ideal TH-Mini deployment. Plenty of acoustic output for the mid-volume, outdoor bar setting where the electric bass (hiding behind the vocalist) needs a bit of reinforcement. The low profile allows center clustering without blocking sight lines -- no higher than an average wedge -- and even serves as a convenient "coffee table".

View attachment 7576

--Frank

Or on a low stage-put them in front (on the floor) and move the center wedges on top of them. This gives more room on stage.

I should have mentioned that last March I also used them for an indoor sit-down dinner featuring a classic rock band. There were 500 people and we were running above "background" SPL but still not "concert level". The Mini's were more than a bit underpowered as I only had 312w into each but they were clustered - I didn't have the means to bridge it then and didn't look up that the NU3000 was that low into 8 ohms - the IPR3000 is 440w. The amp was pretty solidly into limiting but got the job done. I could have rewired a speakon cable on-site (AKA plan B) to bridge them if they didn't hack it but didn't bother.

BTW I think the first time I saw them demo's they had about 3000w into each !

For what it's worth, this picture shows what to me is pretty much an ideal TH-Mini deployment. Plenty of acoustic output for the mid-volume, outdoor bar setting where the electric bass (hiding behind the vocalist) needs a bit of reinforcement.
Just FYI for smaller gigs like that I take a pair of 34 lb 2x12 600w 4 ohm bass cabs to use as subs. Unfortunately the TH-Mini's are a real bear to move by yourself with the single top handle. One of these days I may get ambitious and investigate replacing the top handle plate with a pole cup plate and install side handles, probably surface mount spring type toward the top where I have access via the top plate to install "T" nuts.

Just FYI for smaller gigs like that I take a pair of 34 lb 2x12 600w 4 ohm bass cabs to use as subs. Unfortunately the TH-Mini's are a real bear to move by yourself with the single top handle. One of these days I may get ambitious and investigate replacing the top handle plate with a pole cup plate and install side handles, probably surface mount spring type toward the top where I have access via the top plate to install "T" nuts.
I find the minis real easy to move. You can put several of them on a handtruck and then just pick them up and put them into place.

DO NOT just start to cut into the cabinets (if you want to put other handles into them). Once you cut into one of the internal horn pieces the cabinet is ruined and I highly doubt you would be able to fix it properly.

If you want to do that-then get the cutout size of the handle you want to use and call the office and have an idea where you would like to put the handle. We can tell you if it will hit a brace or not or where to move it so it won't.

I find the minis real easy to move. You can put several of them on a handtruck and then just pick them up and put them into place.
Yah, I should probably spend time at the gym instead of bitchin' about their weight LOL.
DO NOT just start to cut into the cabinets (if you want to put other handles into them). Once you cut into one of the internal horn pieces the cabinet is ruined and I highly doubt you would be able to fix it properly.
Hence my thought that surface mount handles bolted through "T" nuts placed in the uppermost cavity that is accessible via removing the top handle. "Corner" handles might also work, placed left and right (and/or maybe rearwards and forwards ?) on the top.

BTW I was going to sell the TH-Mini's and buy a pair of these that weight 20 lbs less:
XS-12 Chimera 12" Bass HornRamsdell Pro Audio - Products
Unfortunately his prototype failed to perform to his satisfaction. He used a longer horn with a lower flair rate that modeled fine but doesn't match the TH-Mini's output in the 50+Hz region. He uses a corner handle placed aft on the bottom and a "regular" handle placed towards the front on the bottom.

I do wonder how a lightweight version of the Mini would perform, neo driver and 5/8" or 1/2" plywood? As-is the cabs are insanely solid, you can put drinks on them and not worry about them vibrating off.

Yah, I should probably spend time at the gym instead of bitchin' about their weight LOL.Hence my thought that surface mount handles bolted through "T" nuts placed in the uppermost cavity that is accessible via removing the top handle. "Corner" handles might also work, placed left and right (and/or maybe rearwards and forwards ?) on the top.

BTW I was going to sell the TH-Mini's and buy a pair of these that weight 20 lbs less:
XS-12 Chimera 12" Bass HornRamsdell Pro Audio - Products
Unfortunately his prototype failed to perform to his satisfaction. He used a longer horn with a lower flair rate that modeled fine but doesn't match the TH-Mini's output in the 50+Hz region. He uses a corner handle placed aft on the bottom and a "regular" handle placed towards the front on the bottom.

I do wonder how a lightweight version of the Mini would perform, neo driver and 5/8" or 1/2" plywood? As-is the cabs are insanely solid, you can put drinks on them and not worry about them vibrating off.
The problem with most neo magnets in a tapped horn is that the cooling that is needed for a neo adds a good bit of "air noise" to the sound-that we don't like.

Thinner wood would also reduce the strength and make it easier for the panels to flex-which means less sound output.

So sure-it can be made lighter-but at performance costs-so it depends on what is more important to you.

The problem with most neo magnets in a tapped horn is that the cooling that is needed for a neo adds a good bit of "air noise" to the sound-that we don't like.
Yah, those first TH-412's were pretty bad. I thought they found or had made a neo that doesn't have that issue? I think a Neo would only shave like 5 lbs off the Mini (?) but every little bit helps.
Thinner wood would also reduce the strength and make it easier for the panels to flex-which means less sound output. So sure-it can be made lighter-but at performance costs-so it depends on what is more important to you.
I'd give up a db for a 20 lb reduction no question. There is no flex at all at the moment - these little guys are tanks. My 34 lb 2x12's flex a bit too much as you can imagine - but work fine. They are GK 212MBE's. I had one for bass and bought the second one cheap when they discontinued the Mark I version. I should probably have a look-see inside - they have a reputation for coming apart.

Last edited:

...There are advantages and disadvantages to split vs clusted subs. Yes the clustered subs will have a smoother overall response-if that is all you are looking at...

Center clustering will also exhibit comb filtering *within* the crossover band. The time alignment within the effective acoustic crossover band between tops and subs will be different at every seat in the house, moving from left to right. An argument for steeper cutoffs.

Center clustering will also exhibit comb filtering *within* the crossover band. The time alignment within the effective acoustic crossover band between tops and subs will be different at every seat in the house, moving from left to right. An argument for steeper cutoffs.
Yet another-it depends and a trade off.

Of course with steeper cutoffs-you can have "ringing" issues.

It is all a matter of tradeoffs and the only time it gets "right" is when you use a single cone full range speaker. Beyond that-decisions have to be made