Dante for seminars

karel.will

Freshman
Jan 13, 2011
Bruges, Belgium
Hi,

I have 0 knowledge about Dante, so here I am.

I regularly teach seminars for system techs, and as such, I need to have the whole class make FFT measurements.
This gets messy, with 20 measurement mics, lots of cables...

So I just read on some Facebook Group that some of you use Dante to distribute the ref and mic signals to the class, so that you just need a router and some Cat6 cables. This way, everybody just sees my mic, and we all should get the exact same measurements. So they all go through the motions, but we don't get distracted by small differences.

I understand everybody just installs a (trial) version of the Dante Virtual Soundcard software, so I'm good at the participants' side.

But how do I get the signals in to the Dante network? Can I just patch them in on my MacBook? Or do I need some hardware to do this?
I'm thinking that I already have my mic and ref signal in my computer, so if I would only have to make 1 big network for everybody to connect to, that would make for a very slick, professional solution.

Thank you very much!

Charlie

Re: Dante for seminars

The only way I can see doing this is to use a digital console with a Dante card, and then even your computer would get the Dante feed. Audinate's new Via software may help with this once it is released.

However, the problem that I see is that, at present you can only have one computer connected to the Dante network for each console (as I understand it). Maybe I'm wrong on that. But the last time I tried to set up two computers, Dante Controller went all bat shit crazy on itself.

The only way I can see doing this is to use a digital console with a Dante card, and then even your computer would get the Dante feed. Audinate's new Via software may help with this once it is released.

However, the problem that I see is that, at present you can only have one computer connected to the Dante network for each console (as I understand it). Maybe I'm wrong on that. But the last time I tried to set up two computers, Dante Controller went all bat shit crazy on itself.

Until Dante Via is released yes you will need some sort of Dante Hardware device to act as the clock master. Either the console or your computer could be the signal source but the in computer routing would be difficult with out Dante Via.

There should be no reason you can't have one console feeding 20+ computers running Dante Virtual Sound Card. I think I even saw a press release here a few month's back that Rational Acoustics were using Dante for their measurement seminars.

Indeed with the current version of Dante, you need a Dante hardware device of some sort on your network to act as clock master. For my class, I used a Symnet Radius DSP processor to act as my clock master, mic preamp, signal router, and system DSP, and distributed 8 channels of audio to all my Smaart class by Dante. Worked really well. I have since added one Dante to analog output device to the mix for the few in my class with windows computers that cant get their Dante virtual soundcard to work for some odd reason.