Dante/Yamaha Networking

Who uses DHCP for Dante networking with Yamaha products?
Is there a reason for or against doing so?

I've always run without a DHCP server on the Dante network, but I'm wondering if it would better to connect a router and add DHCP. I'm only using Yamaha products and DVS so far.

Thoughts?

Re: Dante/Yamaha Networking

I've always run without a DHCP server on the Dante network, but I'm wondering if it would better to connect a router and add DHCP. I'm only using Yamaha products and DVS so far.

Thoughts?
Dante should possibly run on its own subnet. This because you're likley to have wireless stuff attached to your network and that can mess up things with Dante stability. So, having a dhcp isn't beneficial unless you setup the Dante devices mac addresses and give them their own address space.

I work with 3 different CL/Rio systems; one with managed switches and DHCP server, one with managed switches that we found worked better left up to the zero-configuration networking (zeroconf), and one without a DHCP server. Unless the Dante network is really loaded down, I vote for zeroconf. It just seems to work.
icon7.png
The types of switches used will also have an effect.

Thanks for the replies. The only reason I was considering DHCP was due to the issue the CL seems to have with its control IP being on a different subnet than the Dante IP when interfacing with Nuendo.
Other than that, the systems I've worked with just have managed switches and no DHCP and they work great.

Sent from my iPhone

Andy, I fix a multitrack to nuendo live Friday with a rio 32, a Q1 and a MacBook. All daisey chain config, bypassed all the switches. I was unable to duplicate your success in getting the console extension to kick in between the console and comp regardless of the ip settings. Recording worked with either ip setting.

Dante/Yamaha Networking

The recoding/playback was never a problem, just the Nuendo control.
What was the computer and console (control) IPs?
For some reason I've been able now to get it working MORE consistently than before, making me still think that something is buggy in the Neundo communication, as there doesn't seem to be a real rhyme or reason to what exactly causes it to work or not, except that the console IP does seem to make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone

I've used Dante on DHCP occasionally and without problems. You would probably need to ensure the DHCP server has booted before powering up the Dante gear, zeroconfig just works though.

Have you tried setting the Yamaha control ip within the same subnet as the zeroconfig?

Also, It may be prudent to use switches with QOS enabled if you run dante and yamaha control on the same subnet.

I did some digging around today, and I can't figure where you would even set up DHCP on the CL5 and it's Dante network? Does that have to happen inside Dante Controller somewhere?

I have a separate wifi router for the wireless control network, which is not connected to the SG300-10 switches that run the Dante network. Andrew, are you connecting the control network to the switches/routers that run the Dante network?

Andrew, are you connecting the control network to the switches/routers that run the Dante network?
No, it does not need the control network connected to the Dante network for the Nuendo control to function.

So today, if I manually change the IP in the Nuendo setup (Specific IP I think the selection is called) on the CL5 to the IP of my laptop, it works. And I don't even have DVS running.
If from there, I go back to Nuendo setup and choose "DVS" and then select my computer, it keeps working.
If I choose "No device", hit ok, and then go back and choose "DVS" and again and then try choosing my computer, it does not start working again.
If I then go back and "Specific IP" and then choose the IP of my laptop, it starts working again.

It's hard to tell what makes it work or not work, but at this point, I have it working without setting the control network to the same subnet. Go figure.

Magic bullet perhaps! I'll try that this week and report the results. Thanks Andy

No, it does not need the control network connected to the Dante network for the Nuendo control to function.

So today, if I manually change the IP in the Nuendo setup (Specific IP I think the selection is called) on the CL5 to the IP of my laptop, it works. And I don't even have DVS running.

I have confirmed that at least today, setting the IP to the computer's IP (169.254.124.17 in this case) under 'Specified IP address' seems to work, even though the console's 'Control' IP is 192.168.1.128.

If I start DVS on my computer, I can select DVS in Nuendo Setup and it works.

I'm quite certain I tried all this before and it DID NOT work. I have no clue why it is now or how long it'll last.

Sent from my iPhone

This may explain your problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874 . Ignore the XP part it's general. Don't modify your registry it's only for info!!! It comes down to your computer being on a APIPA Class B subnet (169.254.xxx.xxx and mask of 255.255.0.0). That's a fallback if no DHCP server answers discovery messages to get a IP address. You could also set your "control IP" to something in this subnet range. Remember no two IP addresses should be the same. You could of course fix the computers address by using the DHCP server that also covers the control IP (192.168.1.xxx and mask 255.255.255.0 a Class C subnet). Make sure your computer does an auto search for the DHCP server.

TL;DR...
You'll have to explain how that applies. Best if you can also try your theory on a QL/CL.

Sent from my iPhone
OK followed your other thread. Helps to know what hardware we're dealing with. If your trying to maintain two different subnets under Windows at least you need to use fixed IP addresses. The primary let's say for Nuendo would have the usual IP, Mask, DNS. Gateway the secondary (under advanced) can be your other subnet no DNS or Gateway address (uses primary). You can add multiple secondaries. No QL/CL here but I'd gladly accept one.:)~:)~:smile:

Last edited: