dbx Driverack PA2 as active crossover for 2 channel Home audio Biamped system.

Kevin Giorgi

Jan 1, 2020
Las Vegas
Any folks using the dbx driverack PA2 as a speaker management tool, specifically used as a active crossover network also.
I have a line array speaker system that is bi amped and with a mono REL subwoofer as the low amp in my 2 channel system,.
If anyone has some experience with the dbx driverackPA2 in a 2 channel setup, post up some thoughts, tips, results etc. Much appreciated!!

ThanksIMG_4055.jpg

Any folks using the dbx driverack PA2 as a speaker management tool, specifically used as a active crossover network also.
I have a line array speaker system that is bi amped and with a mono REL subwoofer as the low amp in my 2 channel system,.
If anyone has some experience with the dbx driverackPA2 in a 2 channel setup, post up some thoughts, tips, results etc. Much appreciated!!

ThanksView attachment 209048

Nice looking speakers. Is this a DIY? I've seen similar around. I can't comment on the DRPA2 but I have used a BBE DS24 digital crossover on my home system. Magnepan MMG's and Yamaha self powered subs. Worked fine. I found at least for me the -10dbu wasn't an issue from my home receiver. Preamp out to the BBE DS24 , highs back to power amp in on the receiver then lows on the crossover out to the subs. I did plug it into the receiver for power and it was very quite for what it was. I see the DRPA2 as a better product so you should have good luck. I found XLR to rca adaptors on ebay for a reasonable cost.
Doug

Nice looking speakers. Is this a DIY? I've seen similar around. I can't comment on the DRPA2 but I have used a BBE DS24 digital crossover on my home system. Magnepan MMG's and Yamaha self powered subs. Worked fine. I found at least for me the -10dbu wasn't an issue from my home receiver. Preamp out to the BBE DS24 , highs back to power amp in on the receiver then lows on the crossover out to the subs. I did plug it into the receiver for power and it was very quite for what it was. I see the DRPA2 as a better product so you should have good luck. I found XLR to rca adaptors on ebay for a reasonable cost.
Doug
Appreciate the input, I know how so called audiophiles (no disrespect to anyone, just from what I read on forums) dislike or detest using any type of Equalization or Technology to gain a better overall sound out of a 2 channel system, same dilemma with the use of a sub woofer also in a 2 channel.
For some reason if I engage the -10dbu, I get a slight hum, so I have kept it in the pro setting +4dbu and have no humming distortion problems, with that said.
And to answer a post before yours, my objective was to use the DR PA2 as a active crossover for my speaker system, (previously I was using a Samson S3 crossover), as it being a line array Bi-amped system , (and to answer a question if it was a DIY,,, no it was not, I have a audiophile friend who has a buddy who is a electrical engineered and built these (originally for a dance studio),cabinets were all cnc'd to perfection and they are running (28- 6.5" woofers and 28 Motorola 3.5" peizo tweeters), my buddy already replaced his Maggy 3.6's with another set of these array systems out of the 3, .

My System is running Denon 4400A monoblocks which powers the Highs,(amps gain turned down), Carver A400X for the mid woofers and a REL Ole Brittania B1 that still digs deep(15+hz ) , all XLR connections, (XLR to RCA for the Carver amp), everything else XLR
When running the Samson, I also incorporated an Audio Control old gem C-101 Octave EQ and RTA calibrated, really appreciated the sound, just when It needed a minor brightness adjustment I had to get up and do what ws necessary, so I investigated the dbx DR PA2 from peoples high praise in the pro community, granted i know I was not going to allocate all of the DRPA2 features into a home 2 channel system, I could benefit from the ones I needed , such as a cool App that can be calibrated on the fly with a tablet or phone (tablet for me). After running and adjusting for couple days I almost twice now just said F,IT, and re hooked up the Samson S3 due to its simplicity and analog flair, but I keep talking myself into giving the DR more time so I can get more of a learning curve for the equipment.
With that said, I am surprised I have not found any dbx user forums to fall upon, or at least I cant find, I noticed some forums were discontinued, and if anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.

Safe and Blessed New Year to all.

Reactions: Douglas R. Allen
Uh... with all due respect, Kevin, I think Riley's comment went past you.

Please tell me that "line array" doesn't live in your home theater...
His comment was that a crossover network would not help the speaker system, after all the speakers were designed to be used with an active crossover, bi amped setting, so yes read it, but with all do respect, disregarded it because it is not true is all. As stated I was using a Ssmson S3 crossover, but figured I could fine tune my 2 ch system more with the DRPA2, simply stated the thread for any input from people who might have used the same type of setup in a 2 Ch system.

And no I am not using the line array in my HT setup, That is why I have the Marantz SR 9600 AVR there and a set of Klipsch Epic CF-2 fronts, never implied that it was for HT, simply stated 2 ch for the array/biamped/active crossover combo.

Thank you for your time

Kevin, they are "Columns". A "Line Array" is a VERY different animal.
What Riley was referring to is the massive smearing of the sound as you are hearing the output from ALL the drivers, each at a slightly different distance from your ears.
Electronics can't fix this.
This column is close to 8 feet tall, right?
Used in a living room?
Electronics can't fix this.
Chris.

I guess there must be a misunderstanding , I am not trying to so call fix anything,this speaker system was designed from the same guidelines that were introduced by D.B. Keele,(videos are out there), I think that these are the best sounding speakers I have heard or have owned to date, yes they are not normal for so called Home applications, but then again they are , all I intended was to get some guidelines as to what filters and characteristics of the dbx DRPA2 that can be incorporated for this system.

I will keep plugging away at the adjustments and see what transpires,.

thanks

I guess there must be a misunderstanding , I am not trying to so call fix anything,this speaker system was designed from the same guidelines that were introduced by D.B. Keele,(videos are out there), I think that these are the best sounding speakers I have heard or have owned to date, yes they are not normal for so called Home applications, but then again they are , all I intended was to get some guidelines as to what filters and characteristics of the dbx DRPA2 that can be incorporated for this system.

I will keep plugging away at the adjustments and see what transpires,.

thanks
The DBX will make a fine system crossover, and will likely "sound cleaner" than the Samson unit it will be replacing.
For the actual crossover frequency and slopes, it is up to your ears to decide.
For starters, what does the Sub's documentation recommend for slope and corner frequency?
Does the builder of the columns offer any recommendations for the boxes he built?
Chris.
Note: Mr. Keele and his papers are no strangers in the pro-sound community............
Read up on Dr. Christian Heil for early research on his development of a "Line Array", and it's start in concert sound.

Ummm, well I use a DBX Driverack PA2 both in my live system set up at work as well as my home system as
bi amp crossover for my Tannoy System 1000's. That being said, I am really confused with the "line array" speaker you have in your living room. Line arrays are designed as a long throw system made up of several individual speaker boxes usually amped in groups of 3 or 4 per amp. Are you attempting to use gain shading for the speakers pointed at your ceiling, or will you use EQ to roll off some of the highs, among many other issues you will run into?
I am really interested to know how you are taming that beast (endearing term) in a room with low ceilings and a short throw.

The speakers remind me of these.

http://projectgallery.parts-express.../cbt-36-circular-arc-line-array-loudspeaker/?

Douglas R. Allen

In my job I use line arrays in big spaces, and they work great. Indoors in a small room, they are the worst sounding speaker system in the world - as said above - the time alignment is physically impossible to do and they sound simply dreadful. I just can't imagine what purpose these would have.

The speakers remind me of these.

http://projectgallery.parts-express.../cbt-36-circular-arc-line-array-loudspeaker/?

Douglas R. Allen
I have studied Keele's CBT speakers in depth, and they are so very much more than the simple column or array speaker as they are often (erroneously) described. His papers make for a very interesting read, and I am always surprised that few have followed his research to expand the idea into reality for larger systems.

Reactions: Tim McCulloch