dbx EQs

Re: dbx EQs

Having owned both, and "upgraded" from a 2231 to an iEQ, I like the iEQ better. The IEQ has nonconductive nylon sliders, which means no actual audio flows through the eq sliders. So over time you wont have to worry about corrosion in any of the sliders causing noise. This makes the great for an install they my sit in with no maintenance for the next 30 years.

Having owned both, and "upgraded" from a 2231 to an iEQ, I like the iEQ better. The IEQ has nonconductive nylon sliders, which means no actual audio flows through the eq sliders. So over time you wont have to worry about corrosion in any of the sliders causing noise. This makes the great for an install they my sit in with no maintenance for the next 30 years.

The faders are digital encoders. When they get dirty, instead of the audio getting scratchy, the amount of boost/cut will jump all over the place. This is much worse than scratchy audio.

if you're specifically shopping in that price range, i'd lean toward the 2231.
the iEQ is digital and-so adds a little more coloration to the sound than the 2231.
i bought the iEQ31 when it was first introduced and used it for club installs, which was 'okay' for the most part. we had a few issues with the relays not engaging at power-on, in which no audio passes.

in the $500 range, i'd shop for a used BSS 960...

R~