deoxit on m7cl faders

Chris Delcambre

Freshman
Mar 11, 2013
hi y'all...

which deoxit should I use on the m7cl faders... all of mine calibrated fine but some of them are lagging and sticking... assuming they just need some lubrication...

thanks
chris

Re: deoxit on m7cl faders

hi y'all...

which deoxit should I use on the m7cl faders... all of mine calibrated fine but some of them are lagging and sticking... assuming they just need some lubrication...

thanks
chris

I may be speaking out of turn on this, but I don't believe that motorized faders can be cleaned as regular faders can. I've been disassembling and refurbing unmotorized faders for years now. I haven't attempted to disassemble PM5D or M7 faders (and I'm not about to with these CLs), but from what I can see, it's best to replace them, especially if they are moving erratically (the only trouble we've ever had with them). Besides, you may have the older faders without the dust shield that the newer versions have. They're around $25-30 each to replace. And there's a technique to replacing them as well. For starters, do NOT use too much heat with the soldering iron! I've ruined a fader board over this. And it was cheaper to buy the board with the faders installed than to un-solder and re-solder the faders onto the new board.

If you're not comfortable soldering components to a circuit board, I'd have a repair facility do it. Or just replace the entire board.

I"m certainly open to suggestions or corrections on this, BTW.

Geri O

hi y'all...

thanks
chris

Don't do it! De-Oxit mixes with whatever dirt and gunk is already in the faders and turns it into mud. The faders start to track really poorly and become sporadic.

Best solution is to use a combination of compressed air and vaccuum to try and clean the gunk out while it's dry.

I tried cleaning the faders on my old LS9 with all sorts of Caig and alcohol products. Ended up replacing them all. When I did the post-mortem on the old faders I found all the ones I tried using Caig on had a layer of "gunk" on the wipers that was causing poor contact. The Gunk was lint and dirt mixed with all the chemicals I dumped in there.

Edit: If you are SUPER careful you might try making a tiny brush or hook that you can coat with a *tiny* amount of caig fader lube and apply to the inside TOP of the faders. This is the underside of the metal box that encloses the fader. The trolley that has the wipers on it and is attached to the fader knob presses up against this part and could be causing some friction.

Attachments

• fader.jpg
    fader.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Don't do it! De-Oxit mixes with whatever dirt and gunk is already in the faders and turns it into mud. The faders start to track really poorly and become sporadic.

Best solution is to use a combination of compressed air and vaccuum to try and clean the gunk out while it's dry.

I tried cleaning the faders on my old LS9 with all sorts of Caig and alcohol products. Ended up replacing them all. When I did the post-mortem on the old faders I found all the ones I tried using Caig on had a layer of "gunk" on the wipers that was causing poor contact. The Gunk was lint and dirt mixed with all the chemicals I dumped in there.

Edit: If you are SUPER careful you might try making a tiny brush or hook that you can coat with a *tiny* amount of caig fader lube and apply to the inside TOP of the faders. This is the underside of the metal box that encloses the fader. The trolley that has the wipers on it and is attached to the fader knob presses up against this part and could be causing some friction.

Thanks. I will try that. That may be all it is. If not how much were the faders??? Did you do it yourself or send it somewhere???

Chris