DFR22 USB Mod

Anyone use the DFR22? I think it's a pretty awesome little device, but for some unknown reason, the PC connection is RS-232. Now I have USB to RS232 adapters, but most people don't. This thing was made after computers stopped having RS-232 connections, so with the low cost of USB to RS-232 chips, it's really strange that they didn't have a USB connection from the factory. Anyway, the real magic of the DFR is realized when you connect it to a PC and view/configure it with the Shure software, so this makes it a little easier. (Hint: It's not just a feedback killer)

Pretty easy Mod, all in all, if you're handy with tools and don't mind pulling things apart...

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/showthread.php?1513-DFR-22-Mod

Re: DFR22 USB Mod

The DFR22 is so old I would expect it to have an RS-232
Either way, 232 or USB are both a pain. if they aren't going to upgrade it to ethernet then might as well leave it alone
ps: redesigning a product, new PCBs, testing etc, new UL certification is way more expensive than you think.

I can't open your images without an account though so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know what a USB to 232 adapter would reveal that a straight 232 connection wouldn't have

Jason

It's a cool idea, thanks for sharing it.

We're still in the mode of including a USB-RS232 adapter with every company laptop, but now I'm wondering how many RS-232 devices we actually have left in inventory. XTA processors, one lonely Protea.... hmmm.

Well, the DFR came out in 2003, well past the time that RS-232 connections were common on computers.
But still definitely in the era where a ton of DSPs had RS-232 only. some with proprietary connectors even.

Not sure why you find USB "a pain", but to each their own. It's useful to me and other people I know with the device, so just thought I'd share it.

It's a pain vs ethernet since if you want to do any measurement/tuning you have to be at the processor or rig up a wireless USB.
I guess it depends what you're using it for. I'm probably just being picky

Jason

But still definitely in the era where a ton of DSPs had RS-232 only. some with proprietary connectors even.

It's a pain vs ethernet since if you want to do any measurement/tuning you have to be at the processor or rig up a wireless USB.
I guess it depends what you're using it for. I'm probably just being picky

Jason

Eh, USB and RS232 mean you need to be local to the device, but generally "just work" (especially USB).
Ethernet has its own set of issues, including the need for more configuration and the interesting gotchas that can occur with multiple devices on the network. Ethernet is also more expensive to implement on a device than USB, although that cost is relatively small compared to the rest of the cost of the processor.

I have both RS232 and USB boxes that connect to my computer over Ethernet. Not the most fun thing to set up initially, and not cheap, but they've definitely helped in a few situations where I needed a wireless connection.