Difference between Sensitivity and Gain (Shure UHF-R)

Jan 15, 2011
On the bodypack of a Shure UHF-R transmitter, there are two settings, Gain (adjustable from -10dB to +20dB in single dB steps) and Sensitivity (Adjustable at +15dB, 0dB, and -10dB). Is there a fundamental difference between these two settings?

Re: Difference between Sensitivity and Gain (Shure UHF-R)

The difference has to do with the preamp circuitry - start with the coarse setting (sensitivity) and then tweak fine (gain) as needed from there. Generally -10dB for guitars and such, +15dB for tie-clip lavs and other quiet sources. 0dB for headset mics.

Re: Difference between Sensitivity and Gain (Shure UHF-R)

I work in a corporate setting all the time. I have found that, as long as the rest of the system's gain structure is set up for a quiet system with a large dynamic range, I can set the bodypacks' sensitivities to 0 and their gain to +20 without adding discernible self-noise to the signal. For most presenters on lavs (WL184, positioned under the knot of the tie), that gives me a good readout on the receivers' meters( all green LEDs with some peaks on Yellow), while not allowing the bodypack to clip. If the presenter is louder and I am concerned about the bodypack clipping - something I cannot control from FOH - I will knock down the gain to around +6dB and deal with the make-up gain on the console.

I have also found that the 0dB Sens., +20dB Gain setting on the bodypack most closely equates to the +12 on the handheld transmitter. Very handy to know when swapping transmitters mid-show.