• Engineers are indifferent

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Engineers like it

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Engineers require it/ first choie

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
Re: DiGiCo Rider Acceptability

You're right, my apologies. I swore I only saw 1 Ethernet port on the Ethernet Snake Card.

So great, the SC48 has snake redundancy! In my book, a redundant digital snake option is required for FOH consoles.

Actually the SD48 does have cable redundancy there are 4 Ethernet cable ports at the console, 2 (A and B) for each stage box (2 stage boxes) and (A and B ports) at the stage boxes. But don’t crisscross them it won’t work that way.

I used an SD9 back in feb - not a fan. I was very lost and I couldn't get a mix together which could be blamed on the band, or me, or the console. I blame the band or the console. Personally I couldn't get the touch screen to react like I thought it should... I kept pressing, and pressing, and nothing - then when I did get it to work it was the wrong button. Not a fun console for me. I've heard others mix on them in installs and they still didn't sound good . Thumbs down.
I re-read this post and thought that it required some clarification.
First off "blaming the console" was tongue in cheek, so it certainly was not truly knocking the sd9. I was having a hard time with the screen interface, but i guess thats something someone could get used to. I heard this console used on my pa with a national act and i could not be sure if there is a 25k worth of investment to my ears. I do want to say that the support around the console (around here) is phenomenal and they truly back their brand(s). I personally don't think the console is a good fit for my business model but probably would be great for larger houses. I too think the console is more complicated than it needs to be but others would say thats what makes it great, very flexible and such. Anyway to each his own, choose your 31 flavours as you may.

SD9 does now run at 96k. The upgrade came out here in Canada earlier this year. Contact Jeff at Gerr for more info. We've had an SD9 now for a year and a half. Never a problem. Spent three hours a day for three days before going out and doing a two stage festival with it. Super easy to get around. Visiting techs are up to speed in five minutes.

We have a D1s and an SD9 at my work. I LOVE to work with these boards. They sound great, great dynamics, eq, comps etc.... I actually perfer either one of these consoles over an SC48 or M7.
I went to a demo day just 2 weeks ago. They had every Digico console onsite, and we did a 2 hour "training" on an SD9 with an instructor from Digico UK.

All consoles at the demo where from local shops. The ones from my work where not there, and I know about 4 other shops that had Digico consoles on gigs. It's safe to say that Digico is slowly gaining ground up here.

Consoles at the demo
1xSD5
1xSD7
1xSD8
13xSD9
1xSD10
2xSD11

PS- The SD9 can be used with a Drack on madi if you need more I/O, eliminating the use of a cat5 snake.

I was very lucky to have a proper demo day with Digico back with the D5s were the big thing. They were the first digital desks I had ever seen.

I quite like the sd9. I love the ability the digicos have of having all the bays to be input channels. then have the macros as sends on faders and cue. giving me alot quicker access to my mixings for monitors. I much prefer this quickness to the digidesign and others locking the last bay out as outs or vca only. you are 2 clicks away from your channels insted of just the one.

They are a pain to set up if you don't know the board. but with a few mins being shown around any engineer can be quick on it.

do I see them often...... I've used 2 in the last 4 years. so not as much as I would like.

Just saw the "top 10 tours" on FOH magazine. 7 out of the 10 have a Digico SD7 at FOH and monitors (including the top 5).

This doesn't surprise me at all. While I personally wouldn't pick a Digico for a "win the bid" desk at a regional provider, they have been a common sight at the big gigs/high input count shows over the past few years. I have essentially zero time on the desk, but they appear darned powerful once you climb the learning curve. They are also really solidly built.

What did you end buying Silas?

This doesn't surprise me at all. While I personally wouldn't pick a Digico for a "win the bid" desk at a regional provider, they have been a common sight at the big gigs/high input count shows over the past few years. I have essentially zero time on the desk, but they appear darned powerful once you climb the learning curve. They are also really solidly built.

What did you end buying Silas?

I bought an X32. Seriously.

I rent whatever is on riders.

DiGiCo consoles can tend to provide exceptional audio and routing performance, especially useful for demanding situations - lots of unexpected inputs plus feeds w/processing, etc.

There are those who appreciate and find comfort with this, and those that don't. A KIA will get you up the M5 in traffic as fast as an Aston Martin/Ferrari/Porsche/etc., but if one is looking to perform at better than a "good enough/close enough" level when those open road opportunities arise...

I see a lot of medium-large sound companies who have a full inventory of Yamaha consoles, and maybe one Avid, who cross-rent if the client wants something else and isn't carrying it. That's the bread and butter money maker strategy.

So is there any money in being the guy who has the Digico consoles (or other consoles-du-jour) available for cross-renting?