DiGiCo SD Rack MADI Output

Re: DiGiCo SD Rack MADI Output

I can't speak from experience, but it should… should work.

MADI is MADI; BNC and optical both carry 56/64 channels. The MY Cards take 64 channel MADI IIRC, and the inputs are going to usable on a CL series console, yes. HOWEVER, do be aware that you'll need to make certain that your bit depth/sample rate and clock need to be synced for them to work properly. Just think through it, read the manuals, and test it out before you send it on a gig.

If you're operating at 48k, yes. The rack has the option to set the sample rate of the aux output ports. I do this all the time to run the rack at 96k and then output 48k to a computer recording my show.

And that's just with the single coax and doesn't require the optical for the MY16-MD64 as well, right?
Yes. Max 100m 75 ohm cable RG59/U or better. Stay away from coax with stranded center conductor for longer lenghts.
Make sure the dipswitches on the Yamaha card are correct.

Last edited:

Yes. Max 100m 75 ohm cable RG58/U or better. Stay away from coax with stranded center conductor for longer lenghts.
Make sure the dipswitches on the Yamaha card are correct.

RG58 is 50Ω cable. RG59 is the 75Ω version.

Mac

Does anyone know how many channels the MADI-BNC outputs carry?

If I ran MADI out of a Digico SD rack via coax to a Yamaha MY16-MD64 card with 2 MY16-EX, would 48 channels of digital input show on a CL series console?
The MADI standard isn't set in stone and different manufacturers implement it in different ways to suit their needs. For example, there are different voltage standards which I know cause interconnection problems with certain pieces of equipment made by different companies.

DiGiCo utilise the first 56 channels for audio and use the remaining 8 for control information (as many manufacturers do), but the control signals are proprietary, so you may well get audio out of the rack, but you won't be able to control the head amps/ phantom power etc unless you are running a DiGiCo board and taking a split from the aux to the Yamaha.

Try it in the warehouse and see what happens.

but you won't be able to control the head amps/ phantom power etc unless you are running a DiGiCo board and taking a split from the aux to the Yamaha.

So the SD and D rack doesn’t able to work in standalone mode and path AD directly to MADI AUX with console switched off? And it this case I need deck to be switched on and tell it so send direct pre to aux madi but it still be post gain?And there is no workaround to split channels properly?

So the SD and D rack doesn’t able to work in standalone mode and path AD directly to MADI AUX with console switched off? And it this case I need deck to be switched on and tell it so send direct pre to aux madi but it still be post gain?And there is no workaround to split channels properly?
The SD and D-rack can be controlled via USB, so you can use them as standalone preamps.
Here i'm recording Flaming lips with a SD-rack, a Joeco MADI recorder and a PC.
2013-06-15 22.51.25.jpg

The Digico desks now support conventional 64 channel MADI frames as well as the old school 56 channel frames. Since the Racks and Desks share a common MADI architecture, I wonder whether these feature will be brought to the racks also, so that you can take your pick on the aux or split output.

This also eliminates most (if not all, actually) of the MADI incompatibility issues that currently exist between 56ch and 64ch gear from different MADI eras..

Tnx for replies, I forgot to mention main thing :) I am wondering about the old D5 rack witch is working with D5 Live http://www.grace-audio.com/images/productos/thumb/H1341494683.jpg
to be able to share gains I think only option to use remote pc for controlling gain on FOH mixer and this movements will be compensated by gain tracking. Or to change this museum on new SD rack. Buy the way, will the old D5 console work with new SD rack?

I am not sure if a piece of software exists to control gains on a DigiRack, but my guess is no.

A D5 should be able to connect to an SD rack, but you will not gain any advantages of the newer rack besides the extra MADI outputs (you will have to run the SD rack at 48k). The DigiRack/D5 combo is still a great sounding pair.

The SD and D-rack can be controlled via USB, so you can use them as standalone preamps.
View attachment 153076

My apologies for zombifying this thread but I am absolutely desperate to accomplish exactly this sort of thing but I can't find any way to make it work. The manuals still claim this feature is not implemented, there are no drivers or software available from digico, and nothing happens when I actually plug the thing in. I have tried this on D rack, D2, SD rack, and SD mini. I can also route MADI out from BNC to my computer with an adapter box but I cannot find any way to route audio back into the rack on into an output card.

View attachment 153076

My apologies for zombifying this thread! However I am absolutely desperate to accomplish exactly this sort of thing and I can't find any way to make it work or anyone else who has claimed to have done it. The manuals still claim this feature is not implemented, there are no drivers or software available from digico, and nothing happens when I actually plug the thing in. I have tried this on D rack, D2, SD rack, and SD mini. I can also route MADI out from BNC to my computer with an adapter box but I cannot find any way to route audio back into the rack on into an output card.