Digico SD11

Adam Robinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago IL
I've been test driving the Digico SD11 a bit recently and am quite impressed with all the features they've packed into such a small package. (Many here will know that I'm a Digico fan).

For those of you that don't know, the SD11 is their smallest console. It can be rack mounted or sit on a table. It has 16 ins and 8 outs on board (plus one each of AES in and out) and can connect via a Cat5 cable to the D-Rack (their Cat5 remote box) which provides 32x8 or 32x16. The console itself handles up to 32 channels, up to 8 of which can be made stereo, giving a total input count of 40 plus 1 talkback mic input. The output structure of the console is completely flexible like their other consoles and in addition to a Master Bus (on the SD consoles the Master bus is given as the first Stereo Group) and an 8 x 8 Matrix, it can provide 12 buses which can be a mixture of auxes or groups and each of the 12 buses can be made mono or stereo.

The console features the same fader bank layout as the rest of the SD series consoles, but with just 12 faders. When you load a "fresh" session, the faders come setup into banks of channels, groups, auxes, control groups, and matrix outputs, but from there each fader and each layer is completely customizable, so any fader can appear anywhere on the console (and multiple times). Like the SD9, a row of 12 knobs and buttons follows selection keys to the left of the 15" touchscreen for adjusting parameters like gain, pan, and aux sends on the screen. To the right of the screen is a full EQ strip, HPF and LPF controls, and simple compressor and gate controls. The interface on the screen is exactly the same as the rest of the Digico SD consoles, so those familiar with another Digico console will feel right at home on this one. Above the screen amongst controls for headphones and 2 solo buses and a USB port is a section of 8 macro keys (if the console can do it, it can be programmed to a macro).

Under the hood of the SD11 is the same DSP technology powering the rest of the SD consoles giving it performance that goes far beyond anything else its size (yes, I'd like my little bitty console to sound like a $250k top-market console!). In addition to the usual compliment of digital console features (this console has high pass, low pass, fully parametric 4-band EQ, compressor, and gate on every input and output), the SD11 allows up to 4 instances of a dynamic EQ (think BSS-901 or XTA D2) to be used, up to 4 instances of a multi band compressor to be used, 4 FX engines, and 12 graphic EQs. Also like the rest of the SD consoles, it has a snapshot system that starts out shallow (the snapshot scopes all parameters) but can get extremely detailed (individual parameters on individual inputs or outputs).

I took the console to do a corporate gig in a small theatre. 5 lav mics, 2 handheld mics, a podium mic, and video playback. I set up the top layer with my main 10 inputs (the playback channel was stereo) followed by 3 groups for processing (lavs, handhelds, podium). Everything was right in my reach. Ringing out mics was a bit involved since the PA (groundstacked KARA) was sitting right on the stage and in very close proximity to all the mics. I was immediately impressed with how the sound of the mics remained natural and smooth after what I deemed was entirely too much EQing.

I had set up to mix a band with the console, also using its onboard MADI port to track the show to my laptop, but the event fell through. So to give it a "band test," I hooked up the console to my laptop and ran some multi-tracked shows back through it. It performed just as I would expect from any Digico console, more reason why they're my first choice. It had the headroom and clarity I've come to expect from the rest of their product line. Depending on the band, I could see it becoming a bit difficult to chase around a bunch of levels if you've got to be everywhere at once.

Although this console is sized similar to a Yamaha LS9-16, it's not a direct replacement. Its price point puts it in a league a bit higher, but at the same time you gain a lot more into a similar footprint: increased sonic quality, more IO options, a full-sized touchscreen, and a digital snake option. I think it fills in a place in the market for people looking for the most they can get into a small package, like many "corporate" audio gigs I've done over the years. With the ability to mix 12 stereo auxes, it could also easily fit in a tour bus bay as part of an IEM rig.

Let me know if you're curious about anything I've left out!

Update: I just got an email from Digico that for their anniversary, the SD11 will be getting a feature boost (along with other consoles). It now has more dynamic EQs, more multi-band comps, more FX, and DigiTubes (tube emulation from the SD7) along with an increased count of flexi-channels (the number of channels the can be mono or stereo). They'll also be releasing a broadcast variant of their software for the 11, with some application specific features added in.

Re: Digico SD11

Although this console is sized similar to a Yamaha LS9-16, it's not a direct replacement. Its price point puts it in a league a bit higher, but at the same time you gain a lot more into a similar footprint: increased sonic quality, more IO options, a full-sized touchscreen, and a digital snake option. I think it fills in a place in the market for people looking for the most they can get into a small package, like many "corporate" audio gigs I've done over the years. With the ability to mix 12 stereo auxes, it could also easily fit in a tour bus bay as part of an IEM rig.
How big is the "bit" higher price jump from the LS9?

I just bought one on a special deal for $10,000 Australian Dollars. I am seriously stoked with it as a console. I also think that it is so much more of a console than the LS9 could ever be!!!!!

I got an announcement email from Digico this morning about the additional features being added to the SD11:

-Channel count goes from 32 with 8 flexi-channels, to all 32 channels being flexi-channels (maximum channel count is now 64)

-Multiband comps, dynamic eqs, and FX go from 4 to 6... 6 instances of tube emulation added

There are a few other features they mention, such as set spill (which they describe as being able to create sets and with a push of a button be able to instantly change the console layout)

I've been test driving the Digico SD11 a bit recently and am quite impressed with all the features they've packed into such a small package. (Many here will know that I'm a Digico fan).

The output structure of the console is completely flexible like their other consoles and in addition to a Master Bus (on the SD consoles the Master bus is given as the first Stereo Group) and an 8 x 8 Matrix, it can provide 12 buses which can be a mixture of auxes or groups and each of the 12 buses can be made mono or stereo.

so, does this mean i could do 12 stereo in-ear mixes with this? or am i reading this wrong...

okay, now you've got my attention...

i use a mishmash of 01v96s to generate 15 stereo in-ear mixes with a channel count of about 40 some odd. works, but it's messy and complicated. i'd love to upgrade to one high quality, small footprint desk. if i can turn enough of the digico's 32 inputs into stereo, that'd give me the inputs i need. and i could easily get by with only 12 mixes...

hmmm. must look into this further....

okay, now you've got my attention...

i use a mishmash of 01v96s to generate 15 stereo in-ear mixes with a channel count of about 40 some odd. works, but it's messy and complicated. i'd love to upgrade to one high quality, small footprint desk. if i can turn enough of the digico's 32 inputs into stereo, that'd give me the inputs i need. and i could easily get by with only 12 mixes...

hmmm. must look into this further....

Channel count goes from 32 with 8 flexi-channels, to all 32 channels being flexi-channels (maximum channel count is now 64)

The SD11 is on the short list of consoles I am considering to replace the SC48 we currently use on tour. There is nothing wrong with the SC48, except that is is far bigger than I need and requires a copper snake. With the high price of diesel and shipping, something like the SD11 starts to look very attractive.

I have two issues that I am trying to wrap my head around.

The first is the need to have a Windows PC to do offline show setup, control, etc. I am a Mac guy. I will have to get Boot Camp or a different laptop and or get over it.

The second issue is where my question lies - would you trust a relatively high profile concert to one ethernet cable? I would want to use the D-Rack, and there is, as far as I can tell, no redundancy. That scares me. Is that a rational fear?

The first is the need to have a Windows PC to do offline show setup, control, etc. I am a Mac guy. I will have to get Boot Camp or a different laptop and or get over it.

I'm running Parallels with Windoze 7 on my Macbook Pro to run D-Show for my venue for offline board setup. Works great. No reason you can't do the same.

The second issue is where my question lies - would you trust a relatively high profile concert to one ethernet cable? I would want to use the D-Rack, and there is, as far as I can tell, no redundancy. That scares me. Is that a rational fear?

Don't use consumer ethernet cable. Get a proper Cat6 snake like the one Whirwind makes. It's no more prone to failure than someone cutting your copper snake with an axe:

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/digital-audio-networking/cat-6/medusa-cat-6

Greg

Or get the one Link makes, or just run a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable. Many companies make ruggedized and highly flexible versions of these cables. If lampies can run equally critical light shows up a few universes on what is essentially AES compatible mic wire, I think we can run our shows off some ethernet cable.

The SD11 is on the short list of consoles I am considering to replace the SC48 we currently use on tour. There is nothing wrong with the SC48, except that is is far bigger than I need and requires a copper snake. With the high price of diesel and shipping, something like the SD11 starts to look very attractive.

Jason

For years I did shows on D1s and D5s running MADI over coax with no redundant link. I was always sure that if my snake crossed foot-traffic on the ground it was protected by a true cable ramp (not like a piece of carpet). I would do the same for a single ethernet-style snake run, including going over doors, etc. It's just one cable and should be pretty easy to string along in a venue to get out of peoples' way.

It actually wasn't until on tour with the SD8 (which has a redundant snake connection) that I actually needed redundancy. The previous evening, a stage hand had pulled too hard the wrong way while retrieving my snake and one of the BNC connectors had been beheaded. Rather than say anything, it was just pushed back on (where it of course wasn't making a connection). Hindsight being 20/20, I admit I should have inspected the connectors before hooking everything up, but I didn't, and didn't realize there was an issue until after the show was over.

If you're so concerned with a failsafe digital snake for a compact console, what about looking at the SD8-24 (or SD10-24)? Even the SD9 only has single runs to its remote racks.

Good to know. The website info implied (at least to me) that these features were imbedded in every channel.

Well kinda. It's not an insert, effect, or whathaveyou. The features are embedded into every input and output, but after you activate 4 of each (or 6 in the near future) you aren't allowed to turn on any more dynamic EQ bands or convert wideband compressors into multiband compressors.

Or get the one Link makes, or just run a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable. Many companies make ruggedized and highly flexible versions of these cables. If lampies can run equally critical light shows up a few universes on what is essentially AES compatible mic wire, I think we can run our shows off some ethernet cable.
I've been thinking a lot about this response, as it initially made a lot of sense to me. But after speaking with a Digico rep. and learning about Ferrite beads and how I should carry some in my kit just in case, I think that the DMX analogy doesn't quite hold up. While I am a bit concerned about the lack of redundancy in cases where the actual cable is cut, that can happen to any snake system. That's just a fact of life. What is more alarming is that cat 6 has a max. run of 100M, and a recommended max. run of 75M. Madi is, I have been told, a more robust protocol (?) that will withstand cell phone and other interference better than Cat 6, and can run 120M. It kind of defeats one of the main benefits of using a digital snake if the signal may be corrupted along the way. Now, obviously, my understanding of these matters if fairly limited. I can say with certainty that having mic pres on stage and running signal down a copper snake at line level, never through a split, has made a difference in the audio and I have never had to chase down a hum or buzz. I can also say that with a Profile, I never had an issue with noise, except the racket being made by the band. That was not the most pristine sonic environment, so I can't really say for sure.So how does interference along a digital line like MADI or Cat 6 manifest? Does it either work completely or drop out, or are there gradations in its effects?

You should be concerned, Jason. Everyone in our industry knows how to diagnose and repair analog snake systems. How many know how to diagnose any form of digital transport?

That said, obviously the 100M limitation is not a big deal to almost all. If it is, it is easy to convert to optical or use a repeater.

Hi there.

I am thinkin about getting me a Sd 11, but have heard all the "stories" about Digico desk That Chrashes and do different bad things !

I would like to if any of You have had any of these situations on the Sd 11 ! I am getting the desk to tried for the next days, but have very possitive thoughts about it !

Looking forward to hear from Your ......

BC.