Digico SD11

Re: Digico SD11

I'll chime in.

We have all heard of many desks crashing. I think there was a period of time where Digico D5s were especially susceptible to this and I've had close friends that have experienced this, although not recently. I have personally spent lots of time on the D1, D5, SD8, and SD7 over the past 5 years and have never had any of them bail on me. I have spent just a little bit of time on the SD9 an SD11 and have had no problems there. (And I'm planning on taking out an SD10 for my upcoming tour).

I will put on record that I've had some kind of glitch with just about every popular digital console out there. Let's all remember that all of these consoles are computers at their heart and as they age, I believe we experience "computery" sorts of issues. (Admittedly much less so with Yamaha who built their OS for their devices)

Re: Digico SD11

First off: HI! First post here.

What is more alarming is that cat 6 has a max. run of 100M, and a recommended max. run of 75M. Madi is, I have been told, a more robust protocol (?) that will withstand cell phone and other interference better than Cat 6, and can run 120M.

Just a minor correction here (I am a network engineer by day) - the term Cat 6 as applied to shielded or unshielded twisted pair (SUTP/UTP) cable is a wiring spec created to permit gigabit ethernet and other similar physical layer protocols - it does not intrinsically contain a distance limit. The protocol running over the media specifies the distance limit based on voltages, timing, etc. Gigabit ethernet over SUTP/UTP cable is limited to roughly 100m mostly due to electrical and timing issues with the CSMA/CD mechanism of the protocol. Other protocols can have much greater limits on the same cable (RS422/485 on ancient Cat 3 cable can run for miles!). If you are running any Audio over Ethernet protocols (AoE), then, of course, the limits of Ethernet over SUTP/UTP cable do apply.

Has MADI been ported over to SUTP/UTP cable now or are consoles like the SD11 encapsulating it in the IP protocol stack over SUTP/UTP cable?