DiGiCo SD21

Re: DiGiCo SD21

I am going to guess that it is aimed near the baby Midas end of things.

I think you're close, but seems more like Pro1 instead of M32. Dug up some more dirt:

- 42 Flexi inputs
- 12 Flexi buses
- 24 onboard inputs
- 12 onboard outputs
- 8x FX
- 2x multi-touch display
- 21 Faders
- I/O via optional cards: MADI, Cat5, etc
- Built-in "UB MADI interface" (basically just multitrack I/O on USB)
- 96 kHz
- New and more powerful FPGA chip
- Linux based

April 15 release date, which means at Messe in Frankfurt.

I think you're close, but seems more like Pro1 instead of M32. Dug up some more dirt:

- 42 Flexi inputs
- 12 Flexi buses
- 24 onboard inputs
- 12 onboard outputs
- 8x FX
- 2x multi-touch display
- 21 Faders
- I/O via optional cards: MADI, Cat5, etc
- Built-in "UB MADI interface" (basically just multitrack I/O on USB)
- 96 kHz
- New and more powerful FPGA chip
- Linux based

April 15 release date, which means at Messe in Frankfurt.

Thanks for sharing!

The Linux OS sound really cool, but I wonder if the operations will be similar to the other consoles.

Those are certainly interesting specs and a departure from the other desks in the Digico line up, but it would make sense for a growing company to release another desk aimed at a different section of the market.

I'm sure it will be interesting and good, as all of Digico's current line have been.

However, I think the S21 in and of itself is one thing, whats more interesting is if this is the first product in a new line that includes large format products based on this new chip/OS combo...

Studer is also based on Linux. I think real-time Linux is getting better as well as x86 processing with lots of cores. This is making it possible to get away from dedicated DSP. Waves is based on Linux and x86 too.

Waves claims to be based on Unix, like Mac OSX which is also based on Unix.
What that means, I don't really claim to know, only that it's not Linux. They do both have an X sound though.

Waves claims to be based on Unix, like Mac OSX which is also based on Unix.
What that means, I don't really claim to know, only that it's not Linux. They do both have an X sound though.

Unix was developed by AT&Ts Bell Labs back in the early 70s by guys like Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie (who wrote the C programming language). Because of regulation by the Federal Givernment, they couldn't sell it, so they licensed it to other developers. And then it was further developed by various licensees into BSD, AIX, System V, SCO, and Solaris, et al.

OS X was originally based on the Mach BSD Kernel, which, like Linux, is a Unix-like operating system. Linux being originally written by Linus Torvalds while in college at the University of Helsinki,and BSD was developed by UC Berkley they are simiiar in their approach to operating system design and some software is compatible. OS X was written from the Mach Kernel with a large portion of code brought in from Steve Jobs' NeXT system. Android is based on Linux. iOS is based on BSD (Darwin OS X kernel) sort of.

They are all "Unixlike" operating systems. Really, even Windows NT is based on Unix deep down at the kernel level. My guess is the Waves stuff is probably based on BSD rather than Linux or a more pure Unix implementation (since pure Unix these days really only runs on mainframes and super computers).

Waves literature on SoundGrid says it runs on a Waves-customized real-time version of Linux. I suspect they are using just the PREEMPT_RT patches, not a more elaborate version like Xenomai or RTAI.