Digico SD9 rider friendly?

Steve Payne

Junior
Jan 16, 2011
Richmond, VA
soundworksva.com
A question for Digico users and providers. I am looking at dipping my toes into the Digico pool. We occasionally get riders requesting SD5, 7, 10s. With the Core 2 release and big channel count bump might the SD9 be a usable/acceptable substitution in a one off situation? . I totally get that an BE wants what they want, but these are one off local festival situations where the budget generally isn’t going to allow subrenting from hundreds of miles away and the BE's asking for top tier consoles have to make compromises. We can presently offer Pro2, SC48, Vi5000. Would the SD9 be a useful tool to throw into this mix and offer those that prefer the Digico sound and workflow ? Thoughts? Thanks to all.

Reactions: George Powell
I believe that files made on one SD console can be converted and loaded on others, so show file compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

I would hazard that a guy asking for a Digico console would be more likely to accept an SD9 then an SC48, unless their channel count exceeds the SD9 (but then I don't think any of those options would be acceptable).

In my opinion the SD9 is becoming the new (albeit more powerful) SC48 as more engineers are becoming familiar with the software. Its a powerful processing system but the surface is still a bit limited compared to SD8 and up. If the other desks in your inventory are serving your client base well, and you're not looking to drop more than ~25k all in, the SD9 Core 2 is probably your best entry into the Digico platform.

SD8 is a great piece of gear but a tough sell at this point - the SD10 has effectively replaced it and the fact that there are so many old and road worn ones out there pulls it down on my list.

FWIW Any SD10 will cost almost twice what an SD9 will new.