Digico users

Steve Ferreira

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Anybody here use the SD8-24 and SD9. My boss asked me to give some feedback as to what console we should buy. I was thinking either one of these, but would like to hear peoples opinions on them.

We already have a D1 with stage and local racks.

Re: Digico users

I've used them all and toured with all of them except the SD9. In my opinion, the SD8 is the best sounding console in its price range and for the way I like to mix, its setup and operation works best for me. I've brought several friends into digico demos and every single one has been blown away and all are now users.

The 9 is definitely built a bit cheaper but the audio quality remains. The great part is that you can use existing digico racks instead of buying the D-rack which I have admittedly not really put through its paces.

What other kind of info are you looking for?

Just looking for general input. If the fx where good/bad, delay is off/spot-on...system crashes......Any input is good input, good or bad. We own 2 different brands of digital consoles, the problem is that they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I know about using the D-rack with the sd9, and that is one of the points I will be bringing up to his attention. I would like to use one at MON when we have the D1 at FOH, but still have a great console for the standalone gigs.

Thanks

FX are better than they've ever been on these consoles, but I'm not one to judge because I'm usually looking for a specific sound and thus usually have at least one outboard piece there.

When you ask about delay are you talking about delay as an effect? delay as in channel delay? latency through the DSP?

As for crashes, I have never had a Digico bail on me, end a show, etc. The only notable problems I have had with the SD8 I usually take out were related to it being a very early console. There were a few hardware issues that have been sorted on newer consoles that I had to deal with early on in the product's lifecycle, but again, none of which caused me to not be able to have the show I wanted.

Delay as an effect.

We have had some issues with our D1, crashing 5 mins to doors, corrupt files....... but the system has been up and running flawlessly for sometime now.

I might download the editor for both consoles and play around with it.

Thanks

I had file corruption issues with D1s and D5s in Version 3 of the software and always kept a file trail running around to help alleviate those conditions. I stopped having corruption issues in V4.

Clearly we all hear of D5s (typically) crashing, and I wish I knew how some of these things were happening. I have done countless shows on D1s and D5s and never experienced anything like this. Trust me, if it weren't reliable for me, I would find another alternative.

I had file corruption issues with D1s and D5s in Version 3 of the software and always kept a file trail running around to help alleviate those conditions. I stopped having corruption issues in V4.

Clearly we all hear of D5s (typically) crashing, and I wish I knew how some of these things were happening. I have done countless shows on D1s and D5s and never experienced anything like this. Trust me, if it weren't reliable for me, I would find another alternative.

One of the large companies in my area figured out hat the problems with the D5 was the hard drive placement. The way the console rode in the case caused the drives to vibrate and crash. Custom cases with more padding in a deeper doghouse solved all the issues they had.

On another note I have used the Digico D8 on one occasion and If I had the cash to buy a large format digital board, they would have my money. Ive used Many from SC48s to profiles and venues. I wish I could get my hands on some of the new midas digital consoles but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

One of the large companies in my area figured out hat the problems with the D5 was the hard drive placement. The way the console rode in the case

Caused the drives to vibrate and crash. Custom cases with more padding in a deeper doghouse solved all the issues they had.

Additionally, I believe the V4 upgrade changed the drives to SSDs.

Hey Steve,

Gonna have our 2 SD8s at our Mississauga shop for a little bit at the beginning of February before they head out on tour. If you want something a little more hands on, perhaps we can arrange it.

The compressors are still phenomenal though.

I haven't mixed on the SD8 or 9, however I spent a few months last year on the road with an SD7. If the SD8/9 sound as good as the SD7 you can't go wrong.

I agree with Adam, the compressors are phenomenal, as are the multi-band comps, eq and dynamic eq. I don't want to go back to using consoles without those features.

I'm touring with an SD8 coming from a PM5-RH. I like the sound and features of the SD8 over the PM5D, but am quite disappointed in the software. Mostly annoyances that others probably won't see or care about, I expect.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If you have any other specific questions, let me know.