Digital desk that can bus a mic input to more than 1 preamp?

The concern isn't usually with "correct" settings for best S/N ratio, it's more about the fact that changing the headamp also causes changes in that input's aux sends…not good for Monitors, especially if you're on the verge of feedback already or - possibly, even worse - on IEMs. Small changes can make a BIG difference in the mix and safety of the performers' mixes.

That's why the vast majority of digital consoles have selectable gain compensation, so double patched channels can be virtually 'gain locked' and avoid this issue

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Re: Digital desk that can bus a mic input to more than 1 preamp?

The concern isn't usually with "correct" settings for best S/N ratio, it's more about the fact that changing the headamp also causes changes in that input's aux sends…not good for Monitors, especially if you're on the verge of feedback already or - possibly, even worse - on IEMs. Small changes can make a BIG difference in the mix and safety of the performers' mixes.

Yes but.... with digital gain trim after the pre but before the channel, with gain stabilization the individual mix engineers should be able to control their two different input gains without stepping on each other.

As I've posted before, the only thing you cannot do with this strategy is allow one operator to saturate his analog input stage (for effect) while the other still gets a clean feed. :-(

JR

Hi guys. I was curious if there's a desk out there that can bus a physical XLR input to more than one mic pre. Seems doable, but I'm not aware of any. On my Venue, the channel mapping is post preamp only. So if I bus an input to more than one processing channel, the gain on any of those channels affects all channels.

Thanks.

They actually do make these...

...old analog technology actually...

...its called a y-split.

Am i missing something? :razz:

It's not can it be done, but does some console have this feature built-in.

A "Y" split is generally done externally.

JR

Of course, my comment was pretty tongue-in-cheek.

But essentially, no.

But that shouldn't be surprising because the XLR inputs on a console are the preamps (or line inputs). There is no mic-level audio router functionality going on. If you need audio routing functionality, then you probably need an audio router?

Not to mention, that if your aim is to have 2 channels receiving the same preamp signal but have different internal levels, every digital console I can think of has some kind of digital trim within each channel that would allow you to achieve this with only 1 preamp and A to D conversion.

So I guess I'm missing the question?

No digital console offers the functionality you are asking. Definitively. Thats for 2 reasons:
1) The XLR inputs _are_ the preamps. They are not separate things. The preamps are soldered to the back of those XLRs
2) There are widely accepted industry methods for achieving 1 microphone into multiple preamps

There is no mic-level audio router functionality going on. If you need audio routing functionality, then you probably need an audio router?

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but on the PM1D system from Yamaha, some of the input cards have an A-input and a B-input for each channel. I can't remember if there is a separate preamp for each XLR or if there is mic-level switching going on to select which XLR feeds a single preamp. I do know there are audible relay clicks when you make the switch.

Still won't quite do what Greg wants, though.

Can those two preamps be routed to separate converters and/or separate channels?

Separate converters; yes. Separate consoles; yes. Separate channels on the same console; not directly, but you can have a second console route its preamp back to the first console via AES50, then assign that signal to an input channel. The first console will not have control of the preamp gain, though.