Digital mixer use with a non-inverter generator?

I am providing the rig for an annual outdoor event next weekend.
The stage power is the same as per last year (I was told that it was). Last year's event organizer used a Predator 4000 (non-inverter) generator.
My Crown Itech/XTI/XS amps were fine as well as my outboard gear and Mixwiz.

I would like to use my QU-16 digital mixer this time around.....

Are there any issues using a digital mixer powered by a non-inverter genny?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Mike M

Re: Digital mixer use with a non-inverter generator?

First things first - what's the practical difference when plugging into an inverter generator as opposed to a non inverter generator?

Ran my 01v96i off non inverter gens for the last few years and now have about 3 months with a QL1 and Rios also non inverter. Never an issue yet.

To the best of my knowledge: An inverter generator produces a steady/consistant stream of electricity that is appropriate for computer use.

I've always questioned this logic. Most computers use switching power supplies, which by their nature take care of converting AC power into a clean DC supply voltage. Unless the power is ridiculously out of spec for the power supply, it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Now, analog gear with linear power supplies may have a noticeable issue when using power that has issues.

I am providing the rig for an annual outdoor event next weekend.
The stage power is the same as per last year (I was told that it was). Last year's event organizer used a Predator 4000 (non-inverter) generator.
My Crown Itech/XTI/XS amps were fine as well as my outboard gear and Mixwiz.

I would like to use my QU-16 digital mixer this time around.....

Are there any issues using a digital mixer powered by a non-inverter genny?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Mike M
I googled the generator in question: http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-carb-69728-8786.html Harbor Freight? Seriously?

There are two issues here - the quality/capacity of the generator, and the inverter/non-inverter issue.

Answering your question directly - There's nothing inherently wrong in running from a non-inverter generator of sufficient continuous and peak capacity to handle the load in question. This is done all the time for larger concert situations- the largest inverter generators I'm familiar with are too small to run a large show.

BUT...

A non-inverter generator that is marginal in capacity will likely have poor voltage and frequency regulation, which can definitely goof you up. If every time you hit the kick drum the generator grunts (if you can even hear the PA over the scream of the typical non-inverter generator), you are likely losing both voltage and frequency control, and a board reset or other electronic glitch is likely in your future.

The generator you mentioned is a piece of crap. It may work adequately as long as you aren't asking too much out of it, but I wouldn't use it. Renting a Honda EU series is very cheap insurance.